Messenger Crash

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EngBrian, Aug 10, 2007.

1. EngBrian macrumors regular

I am having trouble with messenger. Every time I close a chat window the whole program crashes and restarts. This didn't happen for the first month or two i had this computer but then I installed a logitech mouse and all hell broke loose. Kernal Panics and lots of other little quirks. So i unstalled the logitech software and found out that there was ape installed so I got rid of that too. But this problem with messenger is still persisting. Any suggestions? or more info needed?

ps. i already uninstalled and reinstalled and there is no change.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Which Messenger? Yahoo Messenger? MSN Messenger:Mac? Other?

3. EngBrian thread starter macrumors regular

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

See if there's a crash log for it (use the Console program in the Utilities folder). It might be some corrupt preference files for Messenger.

5. EngBrian thread starter macrumors regular

Messenger: objc: FREED(id): message respondsToSelector: sent to freed object=0x15879070
    Aug 10 10:47:23 brians-computer crashdump[9457]: Microsoft Messenger crashed
    Aug 10 10:47:26 brians-computer crashdump[9457]: crash report written to: /Users/Brian/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Microsoft Messenger.crash.log

This doesn't mean anything to me but here is what came up when i got it to crash again

6. ElCambo macrumors regular

7. coren2000 macrumors member

I think this is a known issue with MSN and Safari Beta

I suggest you switch to Adium

8. EngBrian thread starter macrumors regular

my primary browser is firefox. So I am willing to get rid of the safari beta. I guess safari doesn't have to be running at the same time to cause this to happen.

Thanks for your help.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahh, if this is a Safari3 Beta issue, let me ask you an alternate question... you can certainly go back to Safari2, but have you considered instead replacing MSN Messenger with Adium? If Adium does the things you need, many Mac users, including myself, prefer it vastly. I really never log into the official clients anymore. I just use Adium.

10. EngBrian thread starter macrumors regular

Reverted to Safari 2 and haven't had a problem since. I am willing to try adium but I really only have contacts on messenger so i don't need the universal messaging part of it. What other advantages?

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, mostly little things. It has a very Mac-oriented feel. It's very customizable, and there are lots of fun plugins. But honestly, it doesn't support MSN as well as MSN Messenger does.

12. xtopher macrumors regular

xtopher

im not sure if this will help any, but i dont have safari beta just the one that came with tiger and my msn has crashed everytime i close a contact window. then the kernel panics started and since then i switched to adium and it works. firefox still crashes though....

13. EngBrian thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the honesty. If it doesn't do MSN as well I will likely stick with what I have. But I may throw it on for a look.

Since I used the safari 3 beta uninstaller that took it back to safari 2 i have had no problems what-so-ever. My kernel panics were due to the logitech mouse software and that has been resolved for me when i removed that piece of software. So i think we were experiencing similar problems with different causes. Thanks for the reply though.

14. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

If Adium would just support the italic part of people's MSN names I would have zero problems getting on board. When I first switch to mac (almost two years) I used Adium because even the official version of MSN didn't support it, but it does now. I keep both but always feel like I'm missing out on someone's name without the italic part..