Messenger For 68K And Up

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dronecatcher, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

2. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I'd be very impressed if any of this really works. I'll give it a go on some of my systems.

3. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Of the listed protocols I've only tested Whatsapp as that is the only one I have, however, it currently doesn't work as username and password are required but Whatsapp only uses a single identifier - your mobile number.

4. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Seems like a rather major oversight. I might try out the Steam and Facebook messenger functionally. The latter would even be useful to me.

5. d-oost macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure WhatsApp would even work. WhatsApp is directly linked to the phone which number you're using with it, which is verified via a security code in an SMS text message sent by WhatsApp when setting up the app. The only way that I know of to use WhatsApp on a computer without unlinking the phone entirely, is with WhatsApp Web, which requires you to scan a QR code with your phone that appears when you open the WhatsApp Web site for the first time. Unless the dev can tap into that, I don't see much use for WhatsApp functionality. I mean, it could still work, but then only on the Mac and nothing else.

6. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

The author did say he hadn't tested Whatsapp as he doesn't have an account but it's the only one I could even attempt to try. No bother to me as Whatsapp goes largely unused on my phone anyhow but thought the application would be useful to others out there.