Messenger for Mac 7.0.2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by -Ryan-, Feb 9, 2009.

1. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Has anyone noticed any differences in this? There's a few bugs that still haven't been fixed since the last release, such as typing too quickly can result in messages disappearing...

Anyway, this was released a couple of days ago for anyone that hasn't got it yet:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downlo...d=E3F79AE4-7B7C-42AB-89C0-EC5F513C24F3#viewer

When will this software get an auto-update feature...

Oh, and please don't harass me for my choice in using Messenger...I can't stand Adium - horrid interface :p

2. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

What particular part of Adium's interface does not work for you? It's essentially the same as all IM clients.... chances are you can customize it to suit your needs. Just about every part of Adium can be altered.

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Yes but you can't send custom emoticons, which is kind of a big feature for Windows Live users.

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

The changes made to 7.0.2 are mostly around making improvements to our support for Office Communicator Server 2007. If you're not in a business environment where you're connecting to that server, you're probably not going to notice anything different.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

...And there you are.

Keeping us in line!

*thumbs up*

Anyway, I love msn messenger, much to the chagrin of a colleague. He insists I use Adium, but why? MSN works, and it's a nice tidy, unobtrusive app.

6. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Then I hope you never go into UI design because if an app that's extremely customisable doesn't make you happy then nothing you ever make will either.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

When will we see the beta of 8.0? :)

8. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

Took the words right out of my mouth :p

9. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

What disappoints me about Adium is the same as what disappoints me about Apple software for Windows. Adium to me feels emulated on the Mac and doesn't use the native interface. I just don't feel right using something that feels so unnatural.

I echo the similar calls for seeing the 8.0 beta =) It's been a long time coming! I can't wait for the day using Messenger for Mac having a webcam conversation. Skipping over to Skype isn't the greatest every time I want to chat to friends and family living abroad.. :(

10. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Good UI design isn't simply about making everything customisable. In fact, most of the best UIs are not that customisable. Simply making customisability can be a lazy move from a design point of view.

Not saying customisability is bad, nor that it's lazy from a technical perspective (it actually requires more work), just that UI design has little to do with customisability.

11. nadyne macrumors 6502a

If only it were that easy to keep you in line. ;)

12. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I don't have a date to share yet. I really wish I did -- the Messenger team wants to get this out the door! We've got a lot of coordination to do with the Windows Live Messenger team, which is in beta right now. The very second I've got something to share ... well, I'd say that I'd post here, but I bet that someone here will beat me to it. :) We'll post about it to our team blog, and I'm sure I'll post about it to my blog too.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

13. chuckcalo macrumors regular

For some reason I use Messenger instead of Adium.. Maybe it's because I come from PC, lol.

14. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,

I dont know what happened but when I open Messenger, Isee the Messenger wondows plus another "Corporate Contacts" window. What is that ?

Attached Files:

15. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

I didn't know about the update until now (how could I...it's not that I am checking for new version each day). But updates are mostly a good thing.

Though I also want new features as everybody here (video anyone?)

I don't like Adium either..it's pretty ugly. And all other messengers also have some thing which bother me.

So I just stick to the nice looking (functions lacking) but good working 'ole MSN messenger for Mac. (and: I don't like the Dock Icon in Version 7. The white border just looks so strange and doesn't fit with the desing of all the other apps. I still use the Icon from version six)

nadyne I see your blog is more up-to-date than the teams..I check both every now and then.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's if you have a corporate account. Notice that only they can videoconference while you silly normal people can only text chat. :confused:

Idiots (Redmont).

17. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

It's Redmond...

Yeah I know..but video is coming...sooner or later. And you still have other options if you really need the feature. I would like it, but I don't need it. (Skype for that purpose)

18. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

i was hoping that this update resovled the display pictures actually working for all the contacts and not only certain ones..

Adium is no good, it seems to lag the system under heavy load of a few conversations plus doing other stuff on the machine.

Msn mac is nice interference just lacks features

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Adium never lagged for me for the brief time that I used it.

Just curious, does anyone have the problem where the receiver doesn't receive your messages? It started happening to me lately and it's getting annoying. I downloaded Adium and my msgs went through fine.

Using @gmail.com if it matters.

20. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok but how can I prevent this window from opening when I open Messenger ?

Ahh and please keep this thread away from a Adium vs Messenger topic :) I think that it's not the point here ;)

Thanks,
    Tex

21. -Ryan- thread starter macrumors 68000

ctrl+click on the dock icon and unselect all the options to do with the corporate messenger before you sign in. Restart the program and hopefully it's gone.