Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LGShepherd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Teesside, United Kingdom
Hi everyone

i am sat here using msn messenger for mac and have just realised that it isn't very good and i guessed that M$ won't make messenger for mac better than the windows version.

what got me thinking is why Apple haven't made a IM programme, i could just imagine how good it would be and the functions i could have.

Is there any reason why Apple haven't made one? i know they have bigger program to deal with, but surely, a IM program should't be too much of a problem for Apple

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
Hi everyone

i am sat here using msn messenger for mac and have just realised that it isn't very good and i guessed that M$ won't make messenger for mac better than the windows version.

what got me thinking is why Apple haven't made a IM programme, i could just imagine how good it would be and the functions i could have.

Is there any reason why Apple haven't made one? i know they have bigger program to deal with, but surely, a IM program should't be too much of a problem for Apple

It's Called iChat.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
They have; iChat. I reckon it's a lot better than either MSN or Adium, but it's only compatible with .Mac and AIM subscriptions, and the AIM client on Windows sucks. It'd be nice if they included full MSN support into iChat (text as well as AV chats)

LGShepherd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Teesside, United Kingdom
i know of ichat, but you need a AIM or .mac account for that and the majority of people have yahoo or MSN....and yes i know they are third party companies but Apple are seeming to becoming very good with doing business with third party companies (youtube). it would be sweet if they could create a IM program to allow you to sign into your hotmail, yahoo etc accounts.

was just a thought

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
i know of ichat, but you need a AIM or .mac account for that and the majority of people have yahoo or MSN....and yes i know they are third party companies but Apple are seeming to becoming very good with doing business with third party companies (youtube). it would be sweet if they could create a IM program to allow you to sign into your hotmail, yahoo etc accounts.

was just a thought

Have you looked at Adium? It doesn't support video chat but allows you to log into all the different IM accounts (AIM, MSN, yahoo, Gtalk, etc)

LGShepherd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Teesside, United Kingdom
yeah i have Messenger for mac, Adium and Mercury.

i was just thinking is Apple made a text IM program, it would be sweet and wondered why they might not have catered for that market of MSN/Yahoo etc users as i thought it would be a big bonus.

like i said, just a thought

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
My guess is that they would rather do a few things well than many things poorly. I would imagine they would only support a protocol if they could offer all the services on that protocol, meaning video and audio chatting. Maybe Yahoo and MSN and making it difficult for them to do this.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I wouldn't be surprised to see Yahoo! support in a future version of iChat considering Apple's recently partnership with Yahoo! on the iPhone. The Tiger version of iChat also supports Jabber BTW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.