Messenger, iChat, Adium etc, dont connect at work

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fabiano, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Fabiano macrumors regular

I need help to solve a mystery here. Actually I connect into my work LAN using the Ethernet por of my mac. I used to connect my old Wintel laptop, and used Messenger and Gtalk. But now with my mac, I cant connect with Messenger for mac, neither iChat, Adium or any ither IM client. As far as I know, my corporate network doesn't block messenger service or gtalk, as I used it before from windows.. but in mac, none of them works! But the most curious thing is that, when I run Vista in parallels, in the same network I can connect to Messenger and gtalk! so whats wrong whit Mesenger por Mac, or iChat (using with google account)? perhaps it uses a different protocol than the windows version does, wich is blocked in the network?

for me its a mystery

2. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

was your mac configured by an admin or by yourself? if an admin has setted it up, he/she might has activated the Mac OS X firewall which could block or allow special apps. You could check it under Preferences - Security - Firewall

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

Where I work, the normal ports for IM are blocked. You can still connect to IM using non-standard ports (like 80), but the regular ones are flat out blocked.

iChat never figured that out, but the Windows version of AIM did.

In iChat preferences, try changing the server port to 80 instead of the default. That's what I had to do (also had to do it in Adium for each account).

4. Fabiano thread starter macrumors regular

for iChat I've solved the problem by seting it to use port 80. The problem with Messenger is that it dont let you set another port to connect. Even the new version 7 isn't any bether. Yeah I know that Messenger for Mac sucks, the windows version will try the port 80 in case the defaut is blocked, but seems that the mac version doesn't do that.

5. Fabiano thread starter macrumors regular

hey, may be I can make a forward rule for the por 1863 to go through 80?

Im not shure on how to do that... how can i do that in waterroof?