messenger:mac bug

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jcgnu, Aug 10, 2008.

1. jcgnu macrumors regular

Hey everyone.

I didn't find a better place to post this. Perhaps no-one will be able to help me fix this issue since it would require some assistance from Microsoft's team.

Anyway, here's the thing. I'm trying to contact Microsoft regarding a terrible bug I found using Microsoft Messenger for Mac. I've tried many many websites, trying to get an e-mail address or an html form to tell them about the bug. So far, mission impossible. Sadly, I found out that it is literally impossible... Here's a comment from someone who actually had to pay to do it, without even receiving any feedback:

]http://weblog.timaltman.com/archive/2006/03/22/reporting-bugs-microsoft

Anyway.....

My problem is the following: I'm using the latest version of Messenger for Mac, which is 7.0.1 (080527). Sometimes, when I'm "Appearing offline", I'm not really... People who are running Adium (at least them) can know that I'm actually online. Therefore, they can text me... Appearently people who also have Microsoft Messenger can't see me online, but still many people have Adium and can know that I'm online, even when I'm, supposedly, appearing offline.

And that has caused me some trouble. Sometimes you just don't want other people to know that you are online.

After having a very bad problem this morning because of this fact, I finally decided to give Adium a try. It's quite nice, although it doesn't have some features only available to Messenger users (e.g. sending messages when appearing offline, or invisible)...

So basically, I'm stuck with no real solution. What a shame Microsoft doesn't put enough attention to its Mac users.

Anyway, if somebody knows a way to communicate this bug to Microsoft, please let me know... Otherwise, just be careful when using Messenger. Now you know that certain people may know when you're online even if you don't want to.

2. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

This isn't a bug in MSN Messenger but a design flaw in the MSN protocol, so it really affects all MSN users. Adium is just smart enough to know when people are secretly online. There isn't anything you can do, and I'm not sure there's anything Microsoft can do. As for being invisible, you can do that in Adium; I've done that before. (At least I'm pretty sure I have...)

3. jcgnu thread starter macrumors regular

So, basically, if one of my contacts is using Adium they will be able to know that I'm online, no matter if I'm on Windows or Mac Messenger???

And, if I use Adium, will I have the same problem??? I mean, if I appear as Invisible, will other people using Adium or Messenger will notice that I'm online??

Thanks.