Messenger problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macnewbie88, Jan 1, 2008.

1. macnewbie88 macrumors newbie

Please could someone help me! I'm sorry if there's a really simple answer but i'm quite new to mac and only know basic computer stuff...

I've tried using Adium, amsn, messenger:mac and mercury messenger but when I try and sign in it always says there is a connection error or i'm not connected to the internet. I'm definitely connected to the internet and I am able to log in on windows computers it just doesn't work on my mac.

I've searched the forum but haven't been able to find anything to help! I'd really appreciate someones help please!

2. Gaz545 macrumors newbie

Gaz545

If you are having the problem only with your mac, then there must be some rule blocking msn connection either on your mac or on your network.. it is unlikely that it is a rule on the mac, as all my mac's have worked with adium straight out the box.
    If you have a firewall protecting your network, it is more than possible to block the port that msn use's to connect to the internet for just one user.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Does a web browser work on your Mac?

4. macnewbie88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok-Thanks, I understand that...how can I unblock the port? and know what port I need to unblock?

I use safari as my web browser which is working fine except sometimes I can't get onto the hotmail page to send/check mail.