Messing around with bicycle.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Skylitfly, May 30, 2016.

1. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

To all you fellow cyclist around here.

Usually I see most of the cyclist including myself just taking the obvious routes and going beside the main roads covering the distance. But lately I've started to do these kind of city/urban rides taking the uncoventional routes, twisty roads and just general messing around in town. Super fun way to get some distance and a decent workout. If you haven't tried it out yet I highly recommend. Super fun! 8)

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's typically what I end up doing. I ride all around my town exploring areas I don't normally go when driving or otherwise. Having close in scenery to observe while I pedal is fun and helps from boredom setting in. It's not as fun for the mind when I'm out on the open road with very little to see.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

4. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Lund is pretty cool. Thanks dejo.

We pick our routes based on the distance and target speed. We usually set an 18 mph average so messing around and scenery is pretty much out. 20 miles this morning and headed back out for 30 more late this afternoon.

5. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I'm supposed to be doing a 50 mile ride this Saturday. I'm not prepared for it. It's not a race just a ride so all I want to do is finish. I'm hoping to be above a 15 mph average. It's all out on country roads and through a couple small towns.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

15+ mph average sounds pretty good, even if you say you're not prepared for it. Are you riding solo or in a group? Group riding tends to up the average speed, I find, when you have a good group. Either way, good luck! I'll be missing the unofficial start to the Colorado cycling season, the Elephant Rock, this Sunday due to the in-laws 50th anniversary.

7. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I'll be riding with a couple friends. One of them will only be with us for the first 25 or so. He's doing the 100 mile ride and it starts with the 50 but splits off. They have food and drink stops every 15 miles so we should be okay.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

15mph average is pretty darn good to me!

I went on a 14 mile ride over the weekend and averaged 12 mph. But I also only have 7 speeds on my bike.

9. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I don't have a high end bike. I have a Trek 1.1 road bike. It can go faster than I can. I just put new Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tires on it. Our normal 15-20 mile rides average 16-17 mph.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That sounds like the same bike I have, a Trek Navigator 1.0.

The fastest I can get it up to, with a gravity assist, is 27mph and at that point my feet are about to fly off the pedals!

11. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I rode about 840 miles last year mostly on weekends as my family was in Japan for the summer. Until I hit a slick spot during a rain storm and broke a rib, and had to end my riding season a couple months short. According to Runtastic it looks like my average pace for most rides was about 4:30 to 4:50.

This year I took my son on a couple of 20 mile rides pulling him in a bicycle trailer, at a much slower pace. 6:40 the first time, and the follow week was 6:24 pace. A few large hills on the ride. Over 800 feet elevation gains. Then just my luck I pulled a muscle in my back and couldn't move much for almost 4 week. I am finally better, but my family went to Japan for the summer so time to ride solo again. I just need to take it easy.

If I do 10 to 20 mile rides I can usually keep my pace at or under 4 minutes, but usually I ride 40 to 60 miles in a shot and keep a slower pace. I am a little over 200 pounds at 5'7" so a little on the chubby side, but I have a hybrid bike so that helps with my pace.

Attached Files:

• ren.JPG
      ren.JPG
      File size:
      2.2 MB
      Views:
  12. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I finished the 50 mile ride Saturday in 3:09 (plus 3 water/snack stops along the way). Just under 16 MPH. I am happy with that. I wanted to stay around 15.

13. Skylitfly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very nice. I regurarly do 20 mile rides with average speed of around 13mph. Thought I've been active cyclist only for around 6 months now. I'm planning to do 50 mile ride in a group next summer and aiming for around 15mph pace. I think it's doable.

14. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I haven't done more than 20 miles in probably a few years, so I was really worried about doing 50. But the ride went well. The only thing that really bothered me was my neck. I may need to make some adjustments to my bike. You can do it.