Messy desktop(i want to delete icons)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by suchanoob, Feb 21, 2009.

1. suchanoob macrumors newbie

ok so today i bought my first macbook!!! YaY for me:DDD

but to my problem...
    i downloaded firefox and skype because i love them so but when i dowloaded them it added icons to my new purrrty desktop....and i want them to go away!!! these are the only things i have downloaded in fear that i wont be able to get the off, but i know theres a way!
    [​IMG]

well i went to yahoo answers and look at some question and i couldnt find anything to help me..ppl were saying put the icons in the APPs and thats it..but when i did that it jus made a copy...so i tried to delete the one on my desk top and it just took it away all together!!

could you help PWEEAS!!!:D:confused::eek:

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

When you download apps they are normally DMG files. They are mountable image files that contain the the program inside (think of it like popping a usb stick in). So when you run the DMG it mounts to your computer (like a usb drive) Then you just drag the app into your applications folder... You probably did this part already.

But now you are still left with the mounted image... You need to eject this, so right click them, and select "Eject". Or select it and press CMD+E.

3. suchanoob thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you
    thank you thank you soooo very much!! i sooo figured it out!!!:D
    MUAH!