Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Hi guys need a little help, can someone please tell me if I am searching for the correct terms for writing the “metadata” and or “ID1/2/3 tags” to the file permanently. So that when a file is moved or copied to another machine it stays with the file, as opposed to just the itunes library?

I am trying to find a way to make the data attributes applied to a file stay or be contained within the file, as opposed to being in a separate file that itunes generates that only applies to the library the file is currently contained in.

Is this even doable for the layman, I know that when a file is purchased, the file contains the correct “metadata” to file itself correctly in the proper location from the start. Am I able to change a files attributed to have this same effect that when added to a library, the metadata is already there before adding it to a library? I have recorded some seasons of shows with eyetv that I would like this data to be applied to if the file goes to a new machine without having to edddit the files attributes for each machine separately.

Any ideas if this can be done, or is there some search terms that will aid in my quest to accomplish this?

have i missed any threads dealing with the permanent change of this type of data?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.