Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Punani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Los Angeles
Does anyone know if Tiger is going to allow user-editable attributes through the Finder or some command-line utility? It would be rather nice to be able to add some keyword to a document or image (Speaking of that, what exactly is the "Keywords" search option in Tiger?).

Also, is there any info about the possiblity of actually bundling comments in a resource fork instead of in .DS_Store and being searchable through Spotlight?

shidoshi

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2004
Can anybody answer this? I'm really wondering this as well. I'd LOVE for the ability to add things like keywords or genre attributes to files, images, video clips, etc.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
I'll look it up sometime tonight when I get a chance to download the new build from the ADC website, but I think you'll just be able to add it to the comments field and search that too.
-Chase

shidoshi

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2004
Well, what I'm hoping is that Apple allows us to ADD new metadata fields to files, not just use what we already have. It would really be nice to have the same kind of power that MP3s have with ID tags. Give every and any file metadata like who created the file, who it is for, what it concerns, what project it is part of, company it deals with, things like that. What I want most is the ability to give a lot of data to my hudreds of image files to find specific ones far easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.