Metadata for movies in iTunes

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rkaufmann87, Sep 19, 2014.

1. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I have loaded about 750 movies into iTunes however I dont have metadata for them.

I watch them via AppleTV and would like to look them up via their Genre. Can anyone suggest a tool that will scan the library and import each movies metadata including genre?

2. sgiera macrumors member

I used iFlicks2. Its on the App Store, cost a few dollars but works exteremly fast is already in the Itunes video format. I have done about 1,000 and its pretty quick. If you have files in MKV, it will recode them to the Itunes video format too and it does that quick too.

3. rkaufmann87 thread starter macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Thanks, I already have the videos in iTunes. If I use iFlicks2 will I have to re-import to iTunes?

4. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

No, the metadata gets added to the file itself. The only thing you might have to do is trigger iTunes to reread the file by doing a "Get Info". Then it will pickup the metadata and art work. You should be able to select multiple videos at once and select Get Info.

Also make sure that your movies are actually set to Movies type and not Home Videos. Home Videos is the default type iTunes uses when you import a video that does not have any metadata.

Otherwise they end up in a completely different tab in iTunes and Apple TV.

5. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

6. Within Reason macrumors newbie

Within Reason

7. lcseds macrumors 6502a

+1

8. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I also use IDentify and am pleased with it. Usually it finds the correct info, but not always. In that case, I go to IMDB, copy the ID number from the URL of the film (such as tt0052357) and paste it into IDentify.

My only nitpick with IDentify is that you have to go into to prefs if you want to disable automatic lookup. Sometimes I just want to manually enter info and it would be nice if there were a quicker way to disable the auto lookup.