Metadata Remover from images

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iRaynor SK, May 14, 2016.

1. iRaynor SK macrumors regular

iRaynor SK

Hello again :-D

I tried some apps for complete removing metadata, but I haven't found one with COMPLETE removal of ALL metadata. Some fractions of metadata still remains (like IPCT Byline in one cause, something other in different cause and so on).

Yea, I do not plan use it for photos taken by my camera (here I need only to set my copyright, I have no problem with this), I need it for working with some image specific usage.

Lukas again :p

2. Asmarty Pants, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016

Asmarty Pants macrumors newbie

Asmarty Pants

To do this properly you need to disable spotlight with terminal commands this is only if you don't want any meta data & indexing through spotlight.

Open up terminal from /applications/utilities and enter the following command to kill spotlight entirely (you’ll need administrative privileges to execute the command):

Sudo launchctl unload -w /system/library/launchdaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

You’ll immediately notice that spotlight is suddenly impotent, and returns only the generic “search the web” and “search wikipedia” options for each inquiry. In the screenshot below, you can see the result of a search with the default settings (left), and after entering the above command (right).

So your files are safe from unauthorized searches but, as we mentioned above, you’re also no longer able to search for emails in mail, or files from within finder. If you find that this step was a bit too much, enter the following command to restore spotlight’s functionality.

Sudo launchctl load -w /system/library/launchdaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

Note that after reenabling spotlight, it will need to reindex your drive(s), a process that may take a while depending on the size of the drives and the number of changes that occurred since you disabled spotlight. You can measure the progress of the rebuild by clicking on the spotlight icon in the menu bar.

3. iRaynor SK thread starter macrumors regular

iRaynor SK