Metal 2 Supported Macs

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by hamiltonDSi, Jul 4, 2017.

1. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

What Macs support Metal 2 in High Sierra ?

Thanks.

2. Populus macrumors 6502

Populus

I think they are the same that support first version of Metal, and here is the list for Metal supported Macs.

3. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

There are three tiers of GPUs that support Metal. Metal 2 is a continuation of Metal and simply adds features to the existing set of APIs. Some features require a certain family of GPUs. This gets much easier on the Mac however, where, if I remember correctly, there's only a single family. All Macs 2012 and up support this family for sure, and select others may also. This includes all functionality of Metal 2.

4. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

At first I thought so too but Metal 2 is heavy and has a lot of new stuff that old GPUs like the GT650m / GT750m (which support Metal 1) can't keep up with.

5. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

According to the WWDC sessions however, All features of Metal 2 seem to be supported on all Metal capable devices. I've not yet seen all the presentations, but so far there's none that talk of adding a new family to the Mac GPUs and no documentation to support that either.
    What features of Metal 2 do you not think something like the GT 650M should be capable of performing? I will gladly look into the matter more for that particular GPU. I should be able to borrow a laptop with that GPU and run High Sierra on it, and perform some very quick tests (if I can easily understand and implement the APIs of the features you're thinking about :) )

6. hamiltonDSi thread starter macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

Thanks so much for your offer.

I have in the house two 15-inchers from 2013 with those GPUs so I can do my own testing if needed.
    The key word here is 'if needed', the question was more of a curiosity for me because I don't need to implement any APIs.

Thank you again !

7. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Sure :). You're welcome. If you do end up making any discoveries one way or the other, let me know.