Metal body is pitting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CW Jones, Mar 20, 2011.

1. CW Jones macrumors 6502

So I have a 2009 MBP that I got at the end of 2009. It seems now on the right side on the front edge of the bottom case the metal is just gone, like its pitting. Its really hard to describe what is happening but when you run your finger over it you can actually feel it. Anyone ever heard of this happening? I have also never once dropped or hit this laptop with anything, I am pretty protective of it and am always careful. Any ideas?

2. Canedrive macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've read on here that it's the anodised coating chipping off. Not much you can do with it other than stick it in a case.

3. CW Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya thats kinda what I figured. I am going to ask Apple what the hell is up with that when I take it in for a new screen/hinge fix. Just seems like a very odd place for it to happen and only after a little more than a year too. Not too happy about it

4. Canedrive macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wouldn't be happy either.

I'm waiting on my MBP to arrive and I don't know whether to put some additional protection on it...

5. CW Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

I would.... People say to put palm rests on it, but this isnt really where your palm rests its on the top edge, like little pieces are missing. I dont know if a speck case would help either, I want one anyways but still. I am going to Apple when I get back from my vacation and will try and use my people skills to see what they will do about it.

6. Canedrive macrumors member

I assume they would put it down to wear and tear, but good luck anyway.

7. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yeah I can't see what apple would do for that, but report back what you get as an answer. :)

8. CW Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

No I cant either but its all about how you word things and how you treat people, part of my job is customer service so I understand that. We shall see tho haha

9. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

From past history, this appears to be an issue with some peoples sweat being slightly acidic or something and slowly wearing away at the anodising, it happens consistently for some people with the metal bodied ones, but not for others.