Metal Clinging/Rubbing Sound Strange

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eatsleepdrivesc, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Eatsleepdrivesc, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

Eatsleepdrivesc macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have had a strange thing happen to my Macbook Pro Unibody Late 2009 model. I have the Speck Clear Case on it if that makes any difference. When ever I move it at an angle( like pick it up or put it down or carry it ) when off or on I hear this metal sound that like something inside is loose and falling around or like two pieces of metal are rubbing.

I wish that I could explain the sound better. Its not like really loud or anything just kinda annoying to me. I got it with the 7200 rpm hard drive if that makes any difference. Though I always feel like its coming from the bottom right corner of it and I believe the hard drive is on the bottom left. Or maybe from the track pad.

If anyone has any ideas or comments it would be much appreciated. Nothing from what I can tell has been effected / isnt working because of it.

Thanks,
    Esd

( Also I like laying in bed with the MBP up at a steep angle on my legs. Could that potentially harm anything? I would say I bend my legs and its at like a 75* angle pointed down. )

2. gokart186 macrumors newbie

Possible solution

hey so I don't know if you are experiencing the same problem I had, but I just recently bought a mid 2010 macbook pro 15'' i5 with a 7200rpm. Almost from the day I got it I would sometimes hear a metally, glassy high pitched "click-ish" noise. I did research through forums and so other people having the problem. The problem apparently stems from a support piece inside the macbook pro almost dead center right above where the ram sits, it looks like a piece to support the back plate from flexing too much, but also the piece wields two metal spring loaded prongs that are used to dissipate electromagnetism. Apparently when the computer heats up these spring loaded prongs scrape lightly against the bottom plate, making the unpleasant sound. Some forums suggested removing the piece entirely as it is not completely necessary for either support or for dissipation. However I was weary of that solution because i didn't want my shiny new macbook to flex more than it should so I applied a couple strips of static tape to the bottom plate where the prongs were scraping ( there were actually two darkened scrape marks) and problem solved! no more noise :D Hope that helps

3. preppy macrumors member

preppy

OH MY GOSH! I'M NOT CRAZY! :eek:

I hear this sound intermittently throughout the day when my surrounding are quiet. At first I thought it was my hdd, but I have an SSD. Then I thought it was the superdrive...but the sound wasn't coming from that part of the computer...Next I thought my trackpad was defective and a piece of the trackpad was rattling around...but the trackpad is working fine. I just gave up after awhile and lived with it as my computer was working just fine. Good to know it's those prongs near the RAM....

Does anyone know if adding a strip of black electrical tape where the prongs make contact will fix the problem?

4. noodlelegs macrumors member

i have this problem too... almost sounds like sparks or static electricity underneath the trackpad area.

5. Suanmiao macrumors member

should be the HD protection mechanism kicking in

6. noodlelegs macrumors member

i shut off my macbook pro (2010 i5) and pressed on the trackpad area, and i still heard the sound. i guess the battery still has juice so there is still some sort of electricity thing happening in there.

7. darkevil011 macrumors newbie

That sound exactly like my issue, What kind of tape did you use I can't find anything but standard electric tape at the local Dick Smiths (Or static tape). Any suggestions ?

8. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

i had this exact same problem i looked around the macbook and pressed around couldnt figure out the sound it was pissing me off :mad: but it eventually went away :D

9. darkevil011 macrumors newbie

Just followed this http://tenonedesign.com/blog/fix-your-macbook-pro-like-a-champ/

So far so good... got to wait for it to heat up a but more then its like every mouse click and key stroke... so far hasn't returned :)