Metal fatigue at hinge clutch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stagr.lee, Dec 9, 2013.

1. stagr.lee macrumors newbie

stagr.lee

Looks like my left hinge is starting to fail on my early 2011 15" MBP. I use this laptop heavily. Is this a common problem? I don't feel anything different as far as hinge stiction but do occasionally hear a mild click mid travel when opening the lid. I assume I would need to replace the top body and both hinge clutches to get this sorted out, correct?

Attached Files:

2. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

I would book an appointment with Apple for that one. I have only seen this once before but that was when client dropped stuff onto his open Macbook Pro and the screen went right back and buckled the casing almost exactly like your image.

3. Jack Sun macrumors member

To OP, maybe someone accidentally bent your screen back like this, and didn't tell you???

4. stagr.lee thread starter macrumors newbie

stagr.lee

Thanks, I booked a Genius appointment.

----------

Could be, I do have teenagers in the house...

5. psik macrumors 6502

Mine broke, will the left honge after my friend dropped my white 2006 macbook to the ground. I ordered a used part from eBay and replaced it...it was hard cause you have to dissect everything... So you'll have to replace yours either yourself it will be chapter or have them do it, that's what the genius will tell you so better be prepared now to what you want to do.Mi used ifixit instructions to help me fix it thanks goodness they exst

6. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

If you look closely at the pictures, you will see a dent or more like a crease on the aluminum next to the black plastic hinge.

7. stagr.lee thread starter macrumors newbie

stagr.lee

+1 - think you got it right ducatiti, my laptop took a blow between the plastic hinge cover and the corner screw near the edge. No idea when it happened. I think at this point this isn't metal fatigue, just a dent. I can feel the dent on the bottom case as well as the rim of the upper case.

8. Beecker macrumors member

Beecker

It looks like something heavy might have been on top of that corner. Either dropped or set on. Not sure though.