Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DVNIEL, Sep 29, 2014.

1. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Did anyone buy this to see how it runs on their Mac Pro? I could've bought Tomb Raider because I hear it's a resource hog but Revengeance looks more fun. I'll let you know how my nMP handles it.

Glad to see good games are coming our way now.

2. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

Sadly, I don't think they are. If I'm not mistaken, this game is another cider wrapper. It might run well on nMP as the machine is way over the requirements, but it is actually the windows version.

3. N19h7m4r3, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

It actually runs amazingly well, although it won't go above 1920x1080 maxed out.

Transgaming actually did a super job on this, and it has controller support for Xbox 360, ONE, PS4, and PS3 as well. Even on iMacs people have reporting really good performance.

To quote the lead developer at Feral behind Hitman, and his statement of double FPS in the actual game holds true. I had no issues played the game maxed out at Ultra.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19291231&postcount=62
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19525504&postcount=71

4. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

Thanks for the detailed info and the videos, as always.

It is just my personal opinion, of course, but I think we should not encourage cider ports even if they happen to run well on last gen mac models. I consider it...cheating if I may say. Well, I can't settle with "better than nothing". ;)

But your post triggered me another question. I haven't played Hitman for a while now and I've moved it to the external drive where I keep apps that I don't currently use so I don't have to redownload them from MAS. Since I'm also running latest Yosemite DP, is the sudden fps drop at the initial area now solved ? (last time played on 10.9). I mean the area at the tutorial when you get to the backyard area of the house. I remember a huge drop rate there.

5. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

I honestly only have an issue with Cider if it's a bad port. Although I agree a native one with the latest OpenGL stack is always better. As it gets increased performance with OpenGL updates and drivers.

In regards to Hitman and the opening area, I actually never encountered a drop in FPS personally.

Although if there was a drop it would be related to the minimum fps tanking, and since 10.10 addresses that it should eliminate it for you.
    Best way to know is to launch it and try.

6. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

I can confirm that the difference is night and day in Hitman. The minimum fps is indeed improved greatly with 10.10.

7. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

Fantastic! Amazing what moving to OpenGL 4, and finally updating drivers can do.

I really hope Apple does more improvements by the time 10.10 officially launches.