Metal?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by ivnj, Oct 22, 2015.

1. ivnj macrumors 65816

My 2011 mac mini doesn't support metal for el capitan apparantly. Any how even after googling I still don't understand. What is metal? What exactly does it do?

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

It's an Apple programming API used to help speed up graphics in games, imaging, drawing, video software.

3. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

So basically I don't really need it if I am not doing any games (just internet and offline programs word, etc.)? My 2011 mini is good enough?

4. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

Assuming your needs stay the same Mini should be good enough for several years.

If your sig is correct and your Mini only has 2 Gb of RAM I suggest upgrading it to at least 4 Gb. While it will work with 2 it is the bare minimum required for OS and it would work faster with more RAM. RAM is very cheap and single stick of 4 Gb will only cost about 30€.

5. felt. macrumors 6502a

If you game metal is useless (for now). There are no games using it (yet).

6. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

I believe it's of much more use on Macs with Retina Displays. I've definitely noticed improvements in general UI animations and scrolling in OS X.

7. leman macrumors 604

That has nothing to do with Metal.

8. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

Yes it does. Core Graphics and Core Animations (aka. 2D rendering and most of the OS X animations) now utilize Metal on supported Macs.

9. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

The GUI is only using Metal on certain weaker Macs with Intel iGPU only.

10. leman macrumors 604

But this has nothing to do with the performance improvements. If anything, Metal acceleration in Core frameworks will improve efficiency, but not performance. Improvements in Metal come from more efficient batching and render command dispatch, and there are not many of those in UI to begin with.

11. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

Ya sorry forgot to update but have now. 2gb was not cutting it shortly after I got her. So I baught an 8gb stick of ram for the mini and have been using 8gb for years now.