Metallic squeaking noise in new MBP 2.8ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ezsobre, Dec 13, 2008.

1. ezsobre macrumors member

Just got this a week ago. I've noticed that, while in use, the computer sporadically "squeaks." The squeak sounds something like a faint "tuner" noise, metallic. The computer runs fine, no problems at all, but the squeak has me worried, or at least occasionally annoyed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. hari-bhari macrumors regular

try and get a video/audio clip, otherwise its hard to say. you are not referring to the click the hard drive makes when you pick your laptop up, right?

3. mets1125 macrumors regular

Do you hear when something is loading (like a website) or app.? I think I have a noise (maybe the harddrive?) coming from the right side.

4. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Finally someone with the same issue i had!

I used to get this until i turned the screen brightness down and back up and then it would be fine for a while. I rang apple about other problems and told them about this and the lady said to unplug the MBP from the mains. Take the battery out and hold the power button for at least 10 seconds and then put it all back together and start her up. Seams to have worked for me!

Hope that helps

Ben

5. ezsobre thread starter macrumors member

The noise doesn't seem to occur with any predictability. So it'll happen sometimes when the computer isn't doing anything. So id doesn't seem to matter if I'm loading a web page or opening an application. It does seem to come from the right side of the computer.

Nipz: did they tell what the problem was or why it was doing it when you spoke with apple? I'll give that a try when I get home and see how that goes.

6. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Didnt tell me anything! Just said this should help. Then again she is only reading off a screen!

7. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Im on the phone to Apple as we speak because my noise seams to have come back and they have never heard of it! Been on the phone 40 minutes with the guys over there picking their brains...

No one else getting the same issue? Or is it just the two of us?

8. mets1125 macrumors regular

Do you always hear the noise? For some reason I only hear it when I wake up the MBP for like the first 20 mins and its usually when a webpage is loading (during that time) Please keep me up to date when you get off the phone. Thanks

9. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Um I really don't no! Seams totally random but could be the same as yours with the sleep. It's not on all the time just there them gone when brightniess is put down! Haven't really noticed if it's linked with loading apps. I'll try leaving it in sleep for a bit and waking it!

Apple have told me to go to the nearest apple store and let them run tests! Shame it's an hour away!

10. mets1125 macrumors regular

When I talked to applecare when I had a problem last week with safari the guy told me he never heard anything about the noise before.. Please keep me up to date thanks again. George

11. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Well Apple with have mine on Thursday for testing. If they cant find anything then i will have to go back another time because i am going away on holiday over xmas and need laptop for work and gaming :p

If nothing is found out by Thursday i will let you no what Apple say when i get back!

12. amoda macrumors 6502a

I think I have the same thing you do.

Mine comes from the charger's area. It makes a different noise when plugged in then it does when plugged out. I had a similar thing in my 1.83CD MBP a few years back.

Here's how it sounds.

It starts off when plugged in, then you hear me take out the charger, different noise, plug it back in and back to the original noise.
    Clicky

Happens randomly, can be solved by putting the computer to sleep and waking up again.

13. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Thats it!!! Finally a recording of it :)

Ill take that to Apple so they can hear what the noise is like.

Thanks man

14. amoda macrumors 6502a

No problem.

Would you mind letting me know what the verdict is with Apple?

Want to make sure that I don't spend 45mins on the phone with them for no reason.

15. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Yea of course!

Im meeting them at 12 UK time so will post asap when i get back or from my iPhone on the way back.

On a side note my second battery from apple and its dropped to 97% already! Another thing i will be talking to them about!

16. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Hey all,

Just got back from the Apple store. No luck finding out what the hell the noise is. The guy spent ages doing things both on my MBP and on his and nothing. He listened to the noise and was shocked.

Because i brought my laptop online he couldnt swap it out for me. Not that they had any 2.8ghz in stock.

The only thing he said to do was to ring Apple online and ask for a new model. Which i did and will get around the 31st, when i get back off holiday. I spoke to the lady about getting a gift for the trouble and waste of £30 in fuel going to exeter for no reason and she said we can sort it out once i have a MBP i am happy with which is good!

So the only thing to do if your MBP is having the same issue is to get it swapped for a new one im afraid!

Hope this helps

17. amoda macrumors 6502a

Hey,

Thanks for letting me know.

How long have you had your Mac? I've had it about a month now, i'm stupid, should've rung them up the first time it happened. But yeah, since it's been a month I'd doubt they'd replace, only repair.

I'll give them a call anyways, see what they can do.

Cheers and good luck!

18. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Ive had mine since 3 nov so over a month now and they have replaced it for me. Will be arriving around 30/31 dec when i get back from holiday. They told he we can sort out a sorry gift when i get a perfect laptop. Just got to decide what i want :)

When you ring up just say you want it replaced. End of.

Ben

19. Lewis-Phillips macrumors newbie

My first post! :p

Mine will be arriving in the next few days, I really hope it doesn't have this problem. Hope you guys get it all sorted.

What kind of gifts do are Apple likely to give?

Lewis.

20. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Im sure you will be fine :)

Apple are normally very good. The lady said a discount on my MBP or we can talk about anything else. Im guessing the most prob being Mobile Me or something. Will report back once i get my new MBP and have sorted out whats what :)

21. Lewis-Phillips macrumors newbie

I hope so:)

Enjoy! :)