Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

demariners

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
So I realized this morning that all my movies no longer have sound but they do have picture. All the chapters are now gone. I did a massive Metax tag a few weeks ago where I changed the release date and I assume that caused the chapters to go away and the sound. Also some of my movies after metax tags are missing audio and video. Does anyone have a solution for this to make it not do this anymore? Furthermore how can I repair the corrupted files? I have about 200+ movies that this has a problem in and I wish to not have to redo all my movies in handbrake. Please help.

FYI, using Handbrake and Metax on Mac. Thanks.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Drag a couple of the files in to Media Info Mac/Media Inspector, it will show whether an audio track is still present (pretty likely). I guessing the files will just need to be remuxed.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So I realized this morning that all my movies no longer have sound but they do have picture. All the chapters are now gone. I did a massive Metax tag a few weeks ago where I changed the release date and I assume that caused the chapters to go away and the sound. Also some of my movies after metax tags are missing audio and video. Does anyone have a solution for this to make it not do this anymore? Furthermore how can I repair the corrupted files? I have about 200+ movies that this has a problem in and I wish to not have to redo all my movies in handbrake. Please help.

FYI, using Handbrake and Metax on Mac. Thanks.

Well, first off, dump MetaX--supremely outdated and there are tons of better options for tagging. I used MetaX for quite a while before discovering Identify 2 and only wish I had done do sooner.

I noticed that if I ever trying to re-tag any of my media using MetaX, the file wouldn't work. Unfortunately, I think you're SOL and will have to re-encode--hopefully I'm incorrect though and someone here can offer a quicker fix.

demariners

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
So if the audio is still present. What can I use to "re-mux it"? I have also noticed some files are also missing video and audio completely and some just have audio and no video :( I just need a program that could possibly just put it all back together. If not I will have to re-do all the files. I will check out identify once I figure out how to get my movies back :(

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
So if the audio is still present. What can I use to "re-mux it"? I have also noticed some files are also missing video and audio completely and some just have audio and no video :( I just need a program that could possibly just put it all back together. If not I will have to re-do all the files. I will check out identify once I figure out how to get my movies back :(

Subler would probably do it. Have you actually checked yet?

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
MetaX needs to go away on the Mac. Nothing but trouble. So far Identify is the best overall tool on the Mac side for tagging.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I have had the opposite problem - it strips the video.

I have now moved to Meta Z, which is a rewrite of Meta X and is much more stable.

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
Thanks to this thread, I downloaded and gave iDentify a shot. This program is FANTASTIC. Thanks to all who recommended it.

demariners

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Agreed, iDentify seems to be a much better program for tagging and very quick. As for my movies I was unable to mux them or do anything. Thank god I gave a friend a copy of all my movies!

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Agreed, iDentify seems to be a much better program for tagging and very quick. As for my movies I was unable to mux them or do anything. Thank god I gave a friend a copy of all my movies!

Gotta love the "offsite backup"!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.