MetaX, how do I set it to only write tags not the whole file?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by matrix07, Mar 30, 2014.

1. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Right now it created a new file every time I wrote tags. Can't it just write tags to existing video file?

2. Ka Ora!, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014

Ka Ora! macrumors regular

Personally I prefer Subler for tag only, It can mux but it can also tag only but primarily I use Batch Rip actions for automator Search for tags I have it assigned to a hotkey.

3. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

MetaX can write just the items you select, but it's going to create a new file. How could it make changes to the file without creating a new file that has the updated info?

4. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

Thanks. I have Subler. Will compare it to MetaX who's quicker.

----------

Could be. I don't remember it's being this slow added metadata to file, but I never used it on files on the network before.

5. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

I've used MetaZ both locally and over the network (wired, not wireless, even) and there's a huge speed difference between the two.

6. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

So I was not imagining it. Thank you for confirmation.

7. farleysmaster macrumors 6502a

I've just switched to Subler. It's way quicker. Not sure about the speed with using it over networked drives, but it creates temp files just like MetaX. It has the advantage of good tagging databases, that work with it, not to mention that MetaX took ages to load on my late 2013 iMac...

8. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

I tried Subler but the interface's just confusing. Do you have a link to a demonstration somewhere?

9. farleysmaster macrumors 6502a

Not really (and I was a bit confused at first too). The help pages did help me work it out, though.

https://code.google.com/p/subler/wiki/UsingSubler

I'm not sure if it still uses tag-chimp, but I click on the little magnifying glass in the top right, and search using TVDB or TheMovieDB and it's been very good at auto-tagging.

10. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

MetaZ is also another option as it hits a lot more databases and is actively being updated and offers the same look and feel of MetaX.

http://griff.github.io/metaz/

On an SSD either one takes about 9 seconds on average for me to process a file about 1.5gb

11. matrix07 thread starter macrumors 68040

matrix07

Thank you for the link.