MetaX, how do I set it to only write tags not the whole file?

matrix07

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Right now it created a new file every time I wrote tags. Can't it just write tags to existing video file?

Ka Ora!

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
Right now it created a new file every time I wrote tags. Can't it just write tags to existing video file?
Personally I prefer Subler for tag only, It can mux but it can also tag only but primarily I use Batch Rip actions for automator Search for tags I have it assigned to a hotkey.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Personally I prefer Subler for tag only, It can mux but it can also tag only but primarily I use Batch Rip actions for automator Search for tags I have it assigned to a hotkey.
Thanks. I have Subler. Will compare it to MetaX who's quicker.

----------

MetaX can write just the items you select, but it's going to create a new file. How could it make changes to the file without creating a new file that has the updated info?
Could be. I don't remember it's being this slow added metadata to file, but I never used it on files on the network before.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I've used MetaZ both locally and over the network (wired, not wireless, even) and there's a huge speed difference between the two.

matrix07

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I've used MetaZ both locally and over the network (wired, not wireless, even) and there's a huge speed difference between the two.
So I was not imagining it. Thank you for confirmation.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I've just switched to Subler. It's way quicker. Not sure about the speed with using it over networked drives, but it creates temp files just like MetaX. It has the advantage of good tagging databases, that work with it, not to mention that MetaX took ages to load on my late 2013 iMac...

matrix07

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I've just switched to Subler. It's way quicker. Not sure about the speed with using it over networked drives, but it creates temp files just like MetaX. It has the advantage of good tagging databases, that work with it, not to mention that MetaX took ages to load on my late 2013 iMac...
I tried Subler but the interface's just confusing. Do you have a link to a demonstration somewhere?

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
MetaZ is also another option as it hits a lot more databases and is actively being updated and offers the same look and feel of MetaX.

http://griff.github.io/metaz/

On an SSD either one takes about 9 seconds on average for me to process a file about 1.5gb