Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miklovo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
This is probably a dumb question....

I just downloaded and began using MetaX to tag my ripped DVD collection (about 150 films) but I can't seem to get the tags to work. I run everything thru using standards presets and following the MetaX website instructions and everything looks like it works fine. Get a successful msg and all from the program but when I go back into iTunes there are no changes to the tags, no cover art, no anything different than before. Even when I go to the source movie file on my ext. Hard disk it shows no changes to the file info.

Am I missing something here? Why won't the tags "take"?

Any help greatly appreciated.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Firstly, make sure all the boxes next to the metadata you are trying to add are checked. Second, one you have all the data in the correct filed and the boxes checked, you have to click the "apply" button (looks kind of like the play button on a remote control). That should do it.

Wes

miklovo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
Firstly, make sure all the boxes next to the metadata you are trying to add are checked. Second, one you have all the data in the correct filed and the boxes checked, you have to click the "apply" button (looks kind of like the play button on a remote control). That should do it.

Wes

You talking about the red arrow at the top that points to the right that says "write" because I don't see any button that says apply

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
You talking about the red arrow at the top that points to the right that says "write" because I don't see any button that says apply

Yes, that actually "applies" the data you entered (as long as it is checked) to your file.

miklovo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
Yes, that actually "applies" the data you entered (as long as it is checked) to your file.

Yes, I've done that and it gets to the end (5-7 mins later) and says I'm good to go....but then nothing. I've got all the boxes checked and artwork chosen and all. I've done it 4 times with 2 different movies and nothing...:confused:

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Yes, I've done that and it gets to the end (5-7 mins later) and says I'm good to go....but then nothing. I've got all the boxes checked and artwork chosen and all. I've done it 4 times with 2 different movies and nothing...:confused:

That is weird...they aren't over 4GB, are they? I remember hearing that you can't add metadata to files over 4GB.

miklovo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
Nope. 1.36 and 900mb. The funny thing is the artwork shows up in the tiny little preview box next to the file name but no info and no changes in iTunes.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Nope. 1.36 and 900mb. The funny thing is the artwork shows up in the tiny little preview box next to the file name but no info and no changes in iTunes.

The only other thing I can think of is to try removing the file from itunes and the adding it again after you use MetaX...you might have already tried that, but it's about the only thing left I can recommend.

Wes

miklovo

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
The only other thing I can think of is to try removing the file from itunes and the adding it again after you use MetaX...you might have already tried that, but it's about the only thing left I can recommend.

Wes

That did it!! I deleted it from the itunes library and re-added it from the media folder location and BAM! There everything was...there's got to be an easier way to do it though...oh well..thx for the help!!

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
That did it!! I deleted it from the itunes library and re-added it from the media folder location and BAM! There everything was...there's got to be an easier way to do it though...oh well..thx for the help!!

Glad I could help! :)

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
MetaX is pretty old and I have on occasion had it actually kill the video portion of a file when updating (so black picture with audio).

Someone else updated the code and released "MetaZ". The interface is not quite as elegant, but I have yet to see if kill a file during update, so you might want to perform a search for it.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
you should be able to tag with meta-x in itunes. I sometimes forget to tag my dvd's after transcoding them and they get moved to my itunes directory. then I can tag them within itunes with the option click on the movie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.