MetaX not tagging!! Help

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by miklovo, Dec 7, 2010.

1. miklovo macrumors member

This is probably a dumb question....

I just downloaded and began using MetaX to tag my ripped DVD collection (about 150 films) but I can't seem to get the tags to work. I run everything thru using standards presets and following the MetaX website instructions and everything looks like it works fine. Get a successful msg and all from the program but when I go back into iTunes there are no changes to the tags, no cover art, no anything different than before. Even when I go to the source movie file on my ext. Hard disk it shows no changes to the file info.

Am I missing something here? Why won't the tags "take"?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Firstly, make sure all the boxes next to the metadata you are trying to add are checked. Second, one you have all the data in the correct filed and the boxes checked, you have to click the "apply" button (looks kind of like the play button on a remote control). That should do it.

Wes

3. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Are you tagging files already loaded into iTunes?

4. miklovo thread starter macrumors member

You talking about the red arrow at the top that points to the right that says "write" because I don't see any button that says apply

5. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Yes, that actually "applies" the data you entered (as long as it is checked) to your file.

6. miklovo thread starter macrumors member

Yes they are already ripped into m4v files in iTunes. That are all stored on my time capsule but in an itunes library.

7. miklovo thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I've done that and it gets to the end (5-7 mins later) and says I'm good to go....but then nothing. I've got all the boxes checked and artwork chosen and all. I've done it 4 times with 2 different movies and nothing...:confused:

8. WesCole macrumors 6502a

That is weird...they aren't over 4GB, are they? I remember hearing that you can't add metadata to files over 4GB.

9. miklovo thread starter macrumors member

Nope. 1.36 and 900mb. The funny thing is the artwork shows up in the tiny little preview box next to the file name but no info and no changes in iTunes.

10. WesCole macrumors 6502a

The only other thing I can think of is to try removing the file from itunes and the adding it again after you use MetaX...you might have already tried that, but it's about the only thing left I can recommend.

Wes

11. miklovo thread starter macrumors member

That did it!! I deleted it from the itunes library and re-added it from the media folder location and BAM! There everything was...there's got to be an easier way to do it though...oh well..thx for the help!!

12. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Glad I could help! :)

13. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

MetaX is pretty old and I have on occasion had it actually kill the video portion of a file when updating (so black picture with audio).

Someone else updated the code and released "MetaZ". The interface is not quite as elegant, but I have yet to see if kill a file during update, so you might want to perform a search for it.

14. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

you should be able to tag with meta-x in itunes. I sometimes forget to tag my dvd's after transcoding them and they get moved to my itunes directory. then I can tag them within itunes with the option click on the movie.

15. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

I abandoned MetaX and began using Subler, but MetaZ sounds interesting.