Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfthomp

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Hey guys, I haven't ripped and tagged any movies in a while but I just got back into it last week. Anyway, I've been trying to use MetaX to put in the correct metadata info for the movies I've encoded, but it's just not working. Basically it doesn't find the movies I'm trying to search for. Currently, I'm trying to get tagging all done for the latest Star Trek movie. When I go to tagchimp.com, the movie and it's info is in the data base there, but when I search in MetaX I get a list of like 3 of the older Star Trek movies and that's it. Is anyone else having this issue? Thanks.

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
I agree - seems like MetaX has gone down the toilet lately. Bummer since it used to make tagging so easy via TagChimp. Hope the developer is still around. Maybe email 'em or visit the website send a message or something? :)

hfthomp

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Is there any other programs out there right now that pull that data down for you?

hfthomp

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Can you tag your movies on the PC side and them read them into your Mac OS iTunes fine?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Can you tag your movies on the PC side and them read them into your Mac OS iTunes fine?

Yes.

My version works fine on mac although it is a system hog in terms of performance. I really would of liked the SD/HD tagging to be a feature of meta-x.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I'm glad I'm not the only one... It's been virtually useless lately! Shame :(

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
afaik there was a change to amazon's api so metax for mac can no longer look anything up from amazon. However for me the tag chimp stuff still works.

Dan Hinsley has kept up the metax for windows app and afaik Kerstetter ( the mac dev ) has not been heard of for some time.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Although I'm Happy to use PC version of metax if I have to, does anyone know of a good OSX replacement for metax?

Big Alsie

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
Is there any other programs out there right now that pull that data down for you?

Why not just use lostify and get the info from imdb or the films webpage (if it is a newer film). Also, I have never had a problem with lostify destroying my files much like metax has done on occasion.

Lostify

Rich1963

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Big Alsie-

The reason MetaX is so convenient is when you are doing 5-6 movies at a time, MetaX combined with tagchimp and Amazon places it all right in front of you. I'm not sure, but last I checked you couldn't do artwork with lostify, and I don't know if that has changed....

Besides, I've had Lostify bungle a write of an .m4v file the same as MetaX.

hfthomp

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
However for me the tag chimp stuff still works.

How are you getting tag chimp to still work? In MetaX I open my movie file, the new Star Trek movie, and then in the search box, I put in "Star Trek". Only like 6 selections from tagchimp are shown and none of them are the new Star Trek movie. However, when you go to tagchimps website, the data for the new movie is all there. Am I missing something?

k21975

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
Boston, MA
The Mac version of MetaX is almost useless at this point. It will not look up Amazon data and it does not seem to have access to new TagChimp data.

The Windows version works great however. I now just tag them via Parallels, then go to iTunes and add the files. I found I can sort by the date and the most recently changed files end up at the top so I don't have to hunt around for them.

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
It is too bad as MetaX is not getting data for any newer movies. Very sad as it is a great tool otherwise. Perhaps I will just do the updates via my wife's PC.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I have moved over completely to lostify and tagger to add artwork, its so much faster than adding it in itunes.

kenlindstrom

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Try Video Monkey

Use video monkey "write meta data to input file only" this will not encode the file and meta tag it.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
If you do not require getting info automatically, Subler is a great tagger imo for basic tagging. uses libmp4v2 as well. written by one of the hb devs.

tgavin

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
South Florida
MetaX Mac is again working with tagChimp.

No, MetaX has not been updated. I've rewritten a bunch of code, moved a few things around, ate monkey brains and then had relations with the devil, just so I could get it to work. I did this for you.

No, not you. You.

Tim

tgavin

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
South Florida
Try subler, it works a treat.

If you're looking to add tag data to tagChimp then, afaik, MetaX is the only app that will do it. That's the part that I got working again.

It's always been able to search tagChimp, granted, for a while there it was spotty, but I rewrote the kajigger and enabled the upload-mo-tron and all is well again.

hfthomp

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
If you're looking to add tag data to tagChimp then, afaik, MetaX is the only app that will do it. That's the part that I got working again.

It's always been able to search tagChimp, granted, for a while there it was spotty, but I rewrote the kajigger and enabled the upload-mo-tron and all is well again.

Do we need to download this new version of MetaX then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.