Metroi... err Shadow Complex!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by spyker3292, Aug 19, 2009.

1. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Did anyone else download Shadow Complex? I did, and I just love how much it reminds me of 2D metroid games. It actually feels like a huge rip off of a metroid game... But that's good. :D

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats because it is a rip on the Medroid games with a dash of castlevania. I haven't tried it yet but it looks really good.

Bless

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

... um yeah. exactly. shadow complex is reviewed and compared to castlevania and metroid on every site.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

MEH. Castlevania copied Metroid, Turrican copied Metroid. It is a subgenre after all named after its 2 forefathers (Metrodvania). But everyones making these now. Even me! They're like in fashion or something. They're all just non-linear, exploration based action platformers :p.

I might get this. It looks good but a little too realistic IMO. I like my Metroidvanias to be much more fantasy based, I don't care much for the Metal Gear style visuals and setting.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Downloaded the trial and it is certainly very impressive. One of the best 'arcade' titles in presentation and such. But 1200 points ? I'll wait a short while and see if it comes down, if not I'll pick it up later.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I downloaded it around 13 hours ago.... I think aside from using the restroom twice, I did nothing else today until now.... sigh.

Enjoyable game though. First play through took about 6 hours... I was going back through in a new game to find everything... missing 2-3 things at the moment. I know where they are but I can't get to em yet... ah well I'll figger it out!

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just played through the demo and I'm really not digging the style. It seems to be trying to attract the usual "Epic" crowd. Hammy acting, guns and explosives, bland looking enemies, "OMFGCINEMATIC". The 3D doesn't help much either, I didn't know that by pushing up in that one area at the start that instead of looking up I would look in the background. And in areas with static camera angles I keep thinking I can reach ledges only to fall.

I've got Super Metroid on the VC that I haven't finished yet, and Symphony of the Night unfinished on the PSP... And I'd rather play through them before this.

To anyone that has completed it; does it get better later in the game? After you find more upgrades?

8. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Completed the game last night in just under six hours. Absolutely loved it and intend to play through it again to try to collect everything.

In fact, the game has inspired me into thinking about making a Metroid-esque game in the future. We'll see.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I got everything collected finally (a few are a pain in the butt to get!) and have restarted on insane... I'm around level 43 at the moment... one spot is kicking my butt though so I put it down for the time being... :)