Metroid Prime 3 - Where's the love?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Oneness, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Oneness macrumors regular

Metroid Prime 3, one of the most eagerly awaited Wii titles of the year and no one is talking about it. The only MP3 thread that seems to be active is about the friend vouchers. Mario Strikers got more buzz than MP3.
    So what's the deal? Is MP3 not as good as the critics say? Does anyone here really like it? Is it just another 'FPS'? Is it too linear? Did it not meet the pre-release hype?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Because to put it quite simply. It isn't available everywhere yet.

Wait until it's European release and you may see more posters.

Blame Nintendo for the delay in getting products to Europe (localisation is not an excuse as that happens in house during development and not after - these days)

and Blame Nintendo for not giving us region free machine.

I have modded my wii so I can import games, but still live with the knowledge that 'any' of these games could KILL my wii with their silent updates stored on the disc.

As it stands Metroid Prime 3's little update (which had nothing apparently to do with firmware, but software) has screwed up my Wii channels, creating duplicates of them all.

-----

Rant Over... but suspect the same bitterness once the SSBM posts start arriving in Nov/Dec and we are all left waiting 4 or 6 months for the privilege. ;)

3. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Speaking of localization, do you think Nintendo/Retro will dub the english voice-work or simply change the subtitles/text to the local languages? Does every individual country, in Europe, have each game in it's own custom language (German, Polish, French, Svenska, Italian, Greek, etc..)?

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The game is great, the best of the series. The controls are wonderful and it takes advantage of the Wii's modern goodies, so also looks great and plays fast. If you've played the others you'll know what to expect. It is a bit linear though, I don't recall the first being the same, but it's still quite enjoyable.

I'm near the end of the game, but I'm working to find 100% items, etc. I haven't cheated on this game nor looked for help and I'm playing it on veteran mode. It's challenging, but still a bit easy in parts, so I'm glad I opted for the higher level of difficulty. I'm savoring it just like Zelda.

So far this year RWii4 is my favorite game when it comes to fun, but this one is up there in its own respect.

<]=)

5. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Well I finished it a couple days ago...And I'd like to say, it's equally as good as the other Metroid Primes. Of course, if you count in the controls, I'd say it's the best of the series. It would be nice if they decided to re-release the older ones with Wiimote features though. :D

One thing that I kinda didn't like about it, is that it feels too linear. So instead of exploring and finding out what to do, you instead go around completing objectives. Not that it detracts from the experience, but it's an overall departure from the original formula. It does have its upside, which is interactive characters, etc. So it's not just Samus fighting monsters... :rolleyes:

I'd like to hear others thoughts about this game though. I'm going back and starting from the beginning now, starting with MP1, then MP2, and then MP3 again. :) Don't ask why, but I just want to refresh my memory on how much it's evolved in 5 years!

6. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Well, the A.I kept chiming in and saying what secret technology was recently discovered and always pointed out where on the map it is. It also kept saying what needed to be done next. Prime 3 had a more "populated" world with real "friendlys" to interact with. That also kind of made it seam more linear. Maybe we're all so good at the Prime formula, by now, that the games are much more of a breeze than they used to be.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This game is MP1 and 2 just with different controls....which isn't a bad thing but its nothing to bowl over. I enjoyed the game but at times it got real boring...lucky thing this game has voice acting because I woulda been bored outta my wits.

Let me ask you guys a question.....anyone play this game with there hands across each other to give the hand that hold the remote more stability? I'm always doing that except when I fight the boss battles and have to jerk on the nunchuck.

Good game though....like all Metroid games.

Bless

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You know, this board could learn a lot from the Doctor Who thread. Maybe us brits are just nicer at not giving away, y'know, spoilers. :p

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Probably we're too busy playing it. ;) I got it on launch day and normally would have been done (with 100% items) by now, but I've been too focused on — wait for it — World of Warcraft. I'm something like 40% through MP3 and loving it. The controls are better than I even hoped for on the Wii and the boss battles are super intense.

I guess my only qualm with the game is that in a sense it feels too much like Hunters, which was just terrible in almost every respect as a single player Metroid game. Not that MP3 actually has the things that were bad about Hunters, but some parts (like the Leviathan seed areas, being exactly the same each time, sans the actual boss you fight) are uncomfortably reminiscent.

10. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I just beat it yesterday, and I will boldly say it is better than the other two, easily. However, it is a completely different experience. I loved the added items/tools/weapons. This made for more complex and fun puzzles. Lots of "aha!" moments.

The shooting was excellent. The only thing I'd like improved is faster turning, and smarter AI (though they are leaps and bounds above enemies in past Prime games). I want to be chased around the room, not be the only one chasing.

I miss switching beams, but like I said, there are more tools in this one, so I guess that compensates.

I can't see how Retro couldn't make another 3d Metroid. Perhaps one after the Fusion timeline ends. I loved this game, and will run through it again in "Hyper Mode Difficulty" as soon as I can (probably over holiday break).

This is the only other game besides TP worth buying a Wii for at the moment. It's just so immersive and beautiful. It's a shame they didn't utilize the wiimote's speakers, though. Just a little touch that could have added a lot (some beam sounds, grapple sounds, etc). I was surprised that was left out.

11. pcypert macrumors 6502

I like it and am enjoying playing it. I think it's incredibly solid, but not a revolutionary game by any means. It deserves good reviews and people should buy it if they have a Wii and like these kinds of games...but it's still not the system seller the Wii needs. The other consoles have shooter/action games that are just as solid.

I do think it's a strong step in the right direction for the Wii and I hope future games are developed like this one and push even further.

Paul

12. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Well, so I started playing the first Prime again, and now I remember why I liked it so much in the first place. It just had incredible level design, and a lot of exploration. In my opinion, it's still the best of the bunch. Anyone remember that it told you about a new save station whenever there was one close by? :rolleyes: It seems like the jumping in it is a lot more "floaty".

Then I pop in Echoes, and man, I started to remember how difficult the game was. You were never safe, because pirates would randomly appear when you wouldn't expect them. That added a lot to the gameplay. Not only that, but each time you went to a new area in the dark world, it would give you a feeling of nostalgia...:confused:

Going to Corruption, I think all the elements that were in previous games were dumbed down; level designs not as complex/unique (c'mon, Norion is very symmetrical in a lot of ways), not as much exploration, etc. It was done to be a lot more linear, and to focus on the Wiimote. It seems like the whole game is based on the Wiimote. :p Not a bad thing, but it definitely took the team off the focus from the original formula.

Is it just me, or do the planets seem way too small? I think each area in the first two Primes are a lot bigger than each planet in Corruption! I could be wrong, but the planets felt unusually small...Oh well, enough yapping for the night. ;)

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Yeah it's certainly not as big as Prime and also there is more save points in Corruption (which actually is handy, stops the backpedalling to a save zone, but does mean the game feels more linear)

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I play my Wii in my office on my extra chair and it has an arm rest. :) I just rest my elbow on it and it gives me a good resting an pivot point. I'll also use the chairs ability to rotate and lean back to sometimes move the cursor when just looking around in one area.

<]=)

15. kakkoiimac macrumors regular

im playing it right now...and i love it...I guess i am in the frame of mind where i would rather play it then post about it on the boards. I guess the only reason i am posting now, is because i am at work...eagerly waiting to go home and start up my Wii :p