Metroid Prime Trilogy

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by KevinRightWing, Jan 25, 2015.

1. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

For those interested, will be downloadable on the Wii U for $9 starting on the 29th. Sale will only be for one week.

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

OMG - like XBox Live and PSN+ and Steam and iTunes, does the purchase stay with your account if you were to get a different console?

I heard that Nintendo purchases become tied to the console.

Thanks...

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I *think* that's changed now but you still need to transfer from one system to another directly, you can't just "log in" like you would Steam, PSN, Live. Once you transfer across it will act like the previous system. At least that's how it works for 3DS.

4. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I actually just untied my Wii U from my Nintendo account a few weeks ago when I sold my Wii U. There's instructions on the Nintendo website. Otherwise if I picked up another Wii U down the road, I wouldn't have access to the purchases I made.

5. foobarbazqux macrumors regular

Nintendo's still in the stone ages when it comes to the whole internet and unified account thing. It's still somewhat tied to the console although you don't loose all your purchases if your console has to be replaced. I've never done this but folks on Nintendo forums say that you have to call Nintendo to get your purchases transferred to a replacement console. Like Dagless said though, if you're doing something like upgrading to a newer version of a console/handheld (e.g. DS -> 3DS or Wii -> Wii U), you can transfer your purchases to the new device but it has to be done directly; I did that with both my 3DS and Wii U and it worked fine, of course it should have been as simple as logging in with my Nintendo Network ID and re-downloading everything.

Still though, very cool that you can buy the Prime Trilogy for $9 considering the price its going for in some parts.

6. KevinRightWing thread starter macrumors regular

You getting Metroid tomorrow?

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Oh I am. Though I do have the trilogy already...I'll be purchasing the digital version.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Maybe. I really want to but I'm not happy with storage limitations on the Wii U or content ownership. Gonna see if there are any 'natural' improvements like progressive scan for Europe, faster loading.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Unlikely, but for £7 you can't really grumble.

I like you hate the way Nintendo do content ownership once you have paid and downloaded the software. At times - it's impossible to transfer from one system to the other (especially if one develops a hardware fault and you are out of warranty).

I have been very careful with what I buy on the Wii U & 3DS because of it.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not so worried about the 3DS. If it ever broke or I lost it, I can just phone Nintendo up and request it be transferred to a new system. But for the Wii U I'm less likely because I can't just take the whole system to friends+family. I guess is my issue with how they handle online purchases.
    I swear Sony have this perfected right now. Cloud save uploads and friendly licenses are really good!

11. KevinRightWing thread starter macrumors regular

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

How big is it?

13. KevinRightWing thread starter macrumors regular

7gig

14. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Last time I checked there were only instructions how to delete your Nintendo ID permanently, not how to unlink the system... I bet you can't get your purchases back if you get a new Wii U, at least not without calling Nintendo and going through hoops.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Apparently it is as simple as just calling Nintendo. They ask what the reason was (stolen, broken, sold without transfer). You give the ID of the old system if you can but you definitely have to give the ID of the new one. Then the old one won't be able to log into Nintendo's online services, the user gets a message telling them to make a new profile and wipe the old one.

They used to be stricter about it. It's still not perfect, though.

16. librarian macrumors regular

nah forget it. Pal wii U has very poor image quality in Wii mode, unless you hack it and force the games in 480p mode by using homebrews. You can also run Gamecube games that way.