Metronome useless!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by revolvingspanners, Jun 28, 2016.

1. revolvingspanners macrumors newbie

I've tried a few haptic metronomes on Apple Watch, and they all have the same problem. As soon as you turn your wrist away (necessary when playing a musical instrument) the face goes blank and the app goes to sleep. Therefore the metronome is useless. I can't find any settings anywhere to override this. I'm starting to wonder if this is just a silly bauble, rather than a useful tool..

2. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Which ones did you try? Just so I know not to try them too.

3. revolvingspanners thread starter macrumors newbie

Pulse, Tempo & Metronome. They work fine until you turn your wrist away. Surely there must be a way to fix this?

4. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I don't think there is an API available to 3rd party devs to continuously run an app while watch goes to sleep (meaning once the screen turns off)

If there is an API for that then it's possible that it's only allowed on certain types of apps. Like fitness stuff.

5. revolvingspanners thread starter macrumors newbie

That's right. I really hope that this is addressed in the new software version. Hamstringinging apps like this is infuriating.

6. lchlch macrumors 6502a

7. revolvingspanners thread starter macrumors newbie

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Why?

Is there a reason you can't use a visual metronome? Or an earphone? Or a Dr. Beat and an amplifier?

Been playing music for thirty-odd years and haven't found a need for a haptic metronome yet.

(adding on)
    I'd rather not suck down my watch battery running a haptic metronome. It's computational overkill coupled with a tiny-capacity battery. Give me a Dr. Beat or a Tama or a Korg or whatever, plus a pack of 9-volt batteries for the year, and I'm fine.

9. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Is it Dr.Beat or is it Dr.Dre Beats? Lol

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

There are a lot of useless apps for the watch

11. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Same here, I use Frozen Ape for my click track on the iPhone, I also use BackTrax to add keyboard parts (mono split, click left, track right) during a live setting. So my iPhone is controlling everything on stage as I drum, I do wear my watch but agree there's no need for it.

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

You probably wouldn't be able to feel any taps from the watch, either, would you?

13. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Exactly, far too faint when playing.