MetroPCS vs Cricket

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PrestonR, Jun 24, 2017.

1. PrestonR macrumors newbie

PrestonR

I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm just going to post it here.

I'm switching carries from Boost Mobile (absolutely awful) to either MetroPCS or Cricket (For their unlimited data plans)

Looking at both their coverage maps, MetroPCS and Cricket coverage is nearly identical in my area. How accurate are their coverage maps? And will T-Mobile's network equal to AT&Ts? Both maps show I will get LTE, but when I was on straight talk, I only got 3G when their map showed LTE.

Which would be better? Cheaper and more options on MetroPCS or more expensive less options on Cricket for a possibly better network?

2. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502a

GnarleyMarley

I've had Cricket for over 2 years now and couldn't be happier with the service for the price. I'm on the $45 plan which includes 8GB of data. Speed and performance is identical to AT&T.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I have heard great things about Cricket. Never tried them but friends say it is very good.

4. PrestonR thread starter macrumors newbie

PrestonR

As a data hungry user who will use data for everything, I'm not sure if 8 mb down will be enough if I choose cricket

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Network speed from Cricket is NOT the same as AT&T.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-mobile-network,review-2942.html

I'm sure those are averages but you get the picture.

I'm on StraightTalk but if I plan to visit Canada, Mexico or Puerto Rico I might change to Cricket.

6. PrestonR thread starter macrumors newbie

PrestonR

I used to have Straight Talk, which satisfied me, but I need unlimited data and the sprint network isn't going to cut it

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Cricket uses the AT&T network, but they cap download speed at 8Mbps on limited plans, whereas there's no such limitation on AT&T's own limited plans (even GoPhone). But if I recall, all "unlimited" plans under the AT&T umbrella do a 3Mbps download speed cap.

However, MetroPCS does benefit from some trickled down T-Mobile features, such as unlimited music streaming ($40 plan and up). AT&T doesn't offer that, but I suppose that if you're on unlimited, that doesn't really matter.

At the end of the day, it will probably come down to coverage for you. You can check out Root Metrics to see independent data of how well each carrier covers your area in different categories (voice, data, etc.). It doesn't paint a complete picture, but it's way better than relying on carrier coverage maps. In the area I live, T-Mobile and Sprint have historically poor signal quality because of the surrounding foothills, whereas I never have problems here with AT&T or Verizon. I'm currently on AT&T GoPhone. Their $45 plan ($40 with the $5 autopay discount) has 6GB of LTE data and is plenty for someone like me who's almost always connected to WiFi.