Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrestonR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I'm not sure where to post this, so I'm just going to post it here.

I'm switching carries from Boost Mobile (absolutely awful) to either MetroPCS or Cricket (For their unlimited data plans)

Looking at both their coverage maps, MetroPCS and Cricket coverage is nearly identical in my area. How accurate are their coverage maps? And will T-Mobile's network equal to AT&Ts? Both maps show I will get LTE, but when I was on straight talk, I only got 3G when their map showed LTE.

Which would be better? Cheaper and more options on MetroPCS or more expensive less options on Cricket for a possibly better network?

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've had Cricket for over 2 years now and couldn't be happier with the service for the price. I'm on the $45 plan which includes 8GB of data. Speed and performance is identical to AT&T.

PrestonR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I've had Cricket for over 2 years now and couldn't be happier with the service for the price. I'm on the $45 plan which includes 8GB of data. Speed and performance is identical to AT&T.

As a data hungry user who will use data for everything, I'm not sure if 8 mb down will be enough if I choose cricket

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Reactions: Applejuiced

PrestonR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Reactions: cfclay

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Cricket uses the AT&T network, but they cap download speed at 8Mbps on limited plans, whereas there's no such limitation on AT&T's own limited plans (even GoPhone). But if I recall, all "unlimited" plans under the AT&T umbrella do a 3Mbps download speed cap.

However, MetroPCS does benefit from some trickled down T-Mobile features, such as unlimited music streaming ($40 plan and up). AT&T doesn't offer that, but I suppose that if you're on unlimited, that doesn't really matter.

At the end of the day, it will probably come down to coverage for you. You can check out Root Metrics to see independent data of how well each carrier covers your area in different categories (voice, data, etc.). It doesn't paint a complete picture, but it's way better than relying on carrier coverage maps. In the area I live, T-Mobile and Sprint have historically poor signal quality because of the surrounding foothills, whereas I never have problems here with AT&T or Verizon. I'm currently on AT&T GoPhone. Their $45 plan ($40 with the $5 autopay discount) has 6GB of LTE data and is plenty for someone like me who's almost always connected to WiFi.

Reactions: cfclay

Anidra75

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2018
Tempe, AZ

I'm switching carries from Boost Mobile (absolutely awful) to either MetroPCS or Cricket (For their unlimited data plans)

Looking at both their coverage maps, MetroPCS and Cricket coverage is nearly identical in my area. How accurate are their coverage maps? And will T-Mobile's network equal to AT&Ts? Both maps show I will get LTE, but when I was on straight talk, I only got 3G when their map showed LTE.

Which would be better? Cheaper and more options on MetroPCS or more expensive less options on Cricket for a possibly better network?
[doublepost=1527708835][/doublepost]I started off with Metro PCS in 2016 and changed to Cricket late last year. Honesty, Metro PCS is way better than Cricket. Cricket doesn't care about their customers, only money. Metro PCS was great to me and this is why I'm going back. Mobile Hotspot is a free feature with them, whereas Cricket makes you pay for a higher phone and extra charges just to obtain it. Plus if you need an extension on paying for your service, Metro PCS will give it to you, free of charge, while Cricket charges you have of your bill just for seven days. If you have to choose-choose Metro PCS.

cfclay

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2015
Little Rock
As a data hungry user who will use data for everything, I'm not sure if 8 mb down will be enough if I choose cricket
The OP doesn't mention where he/she lives. I live in AR and travel 6000 miles a month to some very rural places, I also regularly go out of state. I've had every carrier, even in the last 6 months for work and personal phones.
Need a phone to actually work everywhere- go with Cricket. I'm assuming you are doing this to save money.
I had the Unlimited 2 plan and reviewed this like crwsy before I started because I have some real data hogs on my plan. I regularly use 40-50 gb, and one of my users has used over 200 gb.
Cricket WILL stream video just fine (in my experience) , YouTube, Netflix, etc. Your issue will be the DirecTV app, it may work, but more than likely WILL NOT on the Unlimited 2 plan, capped at 3 Mbps.

Fast forward to T-Mobile, which I now have the Military Unlimited one plan and get speeds up to 100mbps!!

But....does the phone work everywhere.... nope. Coverage map says it should.

I'd say go with Metro PCS(TMobile) anyway. Just test it in your area, worst can happen is you try it for a month and then go somewhere else.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The OP doesn't mention where he/she lives. I live in AR and travel 6000 miles a month to some very rural places, I also regularly go out of state. I've had every carrier, even in the last 6 months for work and personal phones.
Need a phone to actually work everywhere- go with Cricket. I'm assuming you are doing this to save money.
I had the Unlimited 2 plan and reviewed this like crwsy before I started because I have some real data hogs on my plan. I regularly use 40-50 gb, and one of my users has used over 200 gb.
Cricket WILL stream video just fine (in my experience) , YouTube, Netflix, etc. Your issue will be the DirecTV app, it may work, but more than likely WILL NOT on the Unlimited 2 plan, capped at 3 Mbps.

Fast forward to T-Mobile, which I now have the Military Unlimited one plan and get speeds up to 100mbps!!

But....does the phone work everywhere.... nope. Coverage map says it should.

I'd say go with Metro PCS(TMobile) anyway. Just test it in your area, worst can happen is you try it for a month and then go somewhere else.
I know carriers are a personal thing etc but T-Mobile can be $0 a month and it’ll still be a joke.

cfclay

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2015
Little Rock
I know carriers are a personal thing etc but T-Mobile can be $0 a month and it’ll still be a joke.
It's not personal with me. I left T-Mobile 10 years ago. Respectfully, I'll bet you don't know much about 600 and 700 mhz deployment. It is area specific at this stage , but T-Mobile is going to bring most people reading this a faster speed with better coverage than available for the other 2 carriers.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Cricket uses the AT&T network, but they cap download speed at 8Mbps on limited plans, whereas there's no such limitation on AT&T's own limited plans (even GoPhone). But if I recall, all "unlimited" plans under the AT&T umbrella do a 3Mbps download speed cap.

However, MetroPCS does benefit from some trickled down T-Mobile features, such as unlimited music streaming ($40 plan and up). AT&T doesn't offer that, but I suppose that if you're on unlimited, that doesn't really matter.

At the end of the day, it will probably come down to coverage for you. You can check out Root Metrics to see independent data of how well each carrier covers your area in different categories (voice, data, etc.). It doesn't paint a complete picture, but it's way better than relying on carrier coverage maps. In the area I live, T-Mobile and Sprint have historically poor signal quality because of the surrounding foothills, whereas I never have problems here with AT&T or Verizon. I'm currently on AT&T GoPhone. Their $45 plan ($40 with the $5 autopay discount) has 6GB of LTE data and is plenty for someone like me who's almost always connected to WiFi.

AT&T has unlimited plans which aren’t capped download speeds.

nmmendez094

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2018
Chicago

[doublepost=1528071146][/doublepost]

I think you should go to Metro Pcs because Metro runs on T-Mobile's network and T-Mobile is fast. AT&T caps cricket' s data speeds. It is slow

kel42519

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2018
I know this is and older post, but I'm in the middle of changing from cricket to METRO PCS currently.. Cricket screwed us over.. my moms phone broke and had an warranty and they sent her a phone, refurbished and broken and not even the same phone.. called that same day and they could care less about helping us out with the situation!!!Cricket is a JOKE!!!!! STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!! oh and their service isn't all that great... always have 1 bar

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I would play cricket, join a local meet up club that plays to your schedule and location.
I see cricket matches more and more by the year.
the sport is fun, competitive, expanding, cheap, compact and you might learn a word or 2 of Hindi
You can thank me later!
[doublepost=1532975781][/doublepost]
I've had Cricket for over 2 years now
Do you know how to spin the ball,yet?
Such fun!

Reactions: BigMcGuire

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US

I can't speak about Metro, but I tried Cricket and left. I'm in SE North Carolina, and experienced quite a bit of prioritizing resulting in delays in calls going thru, failures to go thru and missed calls. My wife would be with me on her AT&T phone and did not experience the issues. Data is also capped at 8, although it was consistent.

Bottom line is make sure you cancel or return during their return period if it doesn't work out for you and try something else.

brofkand

Suspended
Jun 11, 2006
8 Mbps is plenty for a phone I think. There really aren't apps on a phone that will saturate 8 Mbps currently. It's not like you can have 5 devices streaming HD video at once like you can at home with a router.

Cricket's coverage is much better than T-Mobile's. T-Mobile's coverage maps aren't all that accurate. They will show where you can get a signal, but that signal is often only usable outdoors with a clear view (not behind a building relative to the tower, etc). I understand that T-Mobile is deploying more spectrum to deal with the issue but it's not here today, and we're talking about switching providers today in the OP's case.

Sensorly has maps that are actually provided by users running an app that measures signal strength. T-Mobile's maps are mostly estimations based upon tower locations, terrain, land development, etc - they don't actually have a network engineer that drives down your street and walks behind your house to measure signal strength for the most part.

I would go with Cricket.

Reactions: timeconsumer

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
upload_2018-7-30_16-55-32.png

Just switched from T-Mobile to MetroPCS. These are great speeds not spotty all over my town.

Attachments

• CBF2888C-8366-4988-A8F3-CE925BC5BD88.png
    CBF2888C-8366-4988-A8F3-CE925BC5BD88.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 270
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.