MetroPCS....what a pleasant surprise.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by USF813, Oct 10, 2017.

1. USF813 macrumors regular

So after AT&T couldn’t be bothered to figure out why my visual voicemail quit working I made to switch yesterday to MetroPCS.

$60 flat for unlimited LTE and 10 gigs of hotspot data.

Visual voicemail works perfectly. Data speeds are blowing my mind. 62.86mbps last night at 1am and just now getting 28.92mbps. With AT&T I barely broke 10Mbps and that was on a good day.

I split my time between Atlanta and Tampa and these speeds are in Atlanta. Will test Tampa tomorrow.

Can’t believe I waited a decade to kick AT&T to the curb!

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

3. Applejuiced, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Cant blame you. If service at places you frequent is good and the price is great then go for it.
    Be loyal to what works best for you, not loyal to any greedy wireless carrier.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

T-Mobile MVNO. Who knew?

:D

5. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

Experience is based on location but its awesome what works best for you. AT&T is the most expensive carrier, at least for now.

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I always thought MetroPCS was a Sprint mvno.
    /* blush /

7. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

T-Mobile is generallly awesome.

The exception is their phone support is the absolute worse. Every time I contact them (2 times in the few years I’ve used them) I had to then speak to their awesome Twitter team to get what I originally asked for.

8. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Nope. Sprint's board of directors denied Dan Hesse the opportunity to buy Metro.

T-Mobile finished merging with it a year or so ago.

9. USF813 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually did not haha, but I do now.
    So sitting in the ATL airport and I’m only getting 1.29 down but 21.25 up. Interestingly lopsided. I know airports are generally bad spots anyhow.

10. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

That's a classic case of congestion for you. ;)

11. USF813 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I know. AT&T just gave up most of the time. Always had to connect to WiFi. Do this trip nearly every week. B gates are the worst reception in the entire airport.

12. USF813 thread starter macrumors regular

I realize it’s 1:30am and demand is low, but I just registered 111.28mbps down from my condo in Tampa.

Craziness compared to AT&T!

13. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

Yep... been with Verizon since my Nokia 5120 in 1998.

Never had a reason to switch. Thought about it once (when I lost unlimited) but I got used to it and even unlimited is back now.

14. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

Exactly. Although if it wasn’t for T-Mobile I feel like wireless carriers would be even greedier.

I am hoping for a day where people only finance/buy their phones directly from the manufacturer of their choosing and make payments directly to the company instead of wireless carrier. Then if the service is bad people are free to move to another carrier since they won’t be locked on a device payment plan to a specific carrier. This would force wireless carriers to deliver a better service in the end. This would also force manufacturers to make their phones work on all carriers and be completely unlocked with no carrier bloatware.

Unfortunately, I don’t think this will happen to the extent I would like. But I just want carriers to only provide the service and nothing else.

15. eyoungren, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Personally, I would have switched, but that's just me.

When we first got a data plan it was UD. It's never NOT been UD for us and the lines I have now that do have capped data are not my wife and I's main lines.

Two years ago when we ported from Sprint, Verizon had not brought back UD so Verizon was never a consideration. At the time the only carrer other than Sprint offering UD was T-Mobile. So, that and their price is why we went there.

I'm not paying my carrier so they can use the WiFi I already pay someone else for to give me service.

16. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I am with At&T . I have yet to get visual voicemail on my 6s+.

17. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

I’m done with T-Mobile, after 2 month I can barely get on this forum at times. Going to try Verizon prepaid plan.

I know hand full of people that use MetroPC and happy with it. They stream movies on their phones almost every day.

18. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Cell service is like retail, Location, Location, Location.

19. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

Isn't like literally every provider now $50-60 flat for Unlimited?

I definitely am on Sprint.

20. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Well, I pay $140 for two lines of unlimited. That was the price of the plan when we ported. But I was happy with that because I got 7GB of tethering for each line.

At that time you had to pay Sprint $20 for 2GB of tethering.

Stay with Sprint if it works for you. They are fast with great coverage in some areas. Unfortunately for us, after 16 years, when we couldn't make phone calls anymore it was time to leave.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    Tmobile is the most pro-consumer and with its anti-carrier strategies it helped shape a new era of wireless service in the US.
    Competition is great no matter what company you're using. Wireless providers should be forced to compete or get left behind.
    Not the way it was before for the 2 big carriers keep coming out with worst deals, less options and choices and new fee's to nickel and dime their subscribers. Once AT&T pulled a new shady move Verizon would copy shortly and vice versa because F the customer.
    Not any more :D

22. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

Yeah... I'm with Verizon... my friend is with Tmobile.

My cell phone works great everywhere with the exception of the Cascade Range... my friend gets static calls from inside my house and hers... and we're in Seattle metro.

As said, since 1998 never had a reason to switch from Verizon other than losing UD and I stayed with them because of the coverage. No complaints about coverage area and UD is back... I'm happy.

23. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I remember when AT&T had the largest coverage in the US.

Times change.

24. USF813 thread starter macrumors regular

Something else I like about the Metro plan is you can add international for $10/month. Nice that you can just add it when you need.