mew imac 27" i7 but want two systems at once

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Ptit, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Ptit macrumors regular

i just got a imac 27" i7, 12Gb ram, 1TB HD and 1GB vRam.

i was using a imac 20" Core 2 duo 2.33Ghz, 1TB HD for video,
    On this machine i ran FCP studio, FCP refuses to boot on the same machine with some of my 3rd party plugs in Logic.

So i then went to the macbook pro17 2006 2.33 GHZ with a 500GB HD for audio.
    On this machine i ran pro tools, logic etc

now im wondering what the best solution is with the imac, like if i can somehow install one of these as a virtual machine or dual booth partition, i would rather run them at the same time since i switch between often., if the imac is fast enough to., anyone have ideas? will vmware or parralel work out well?

any advise appreciated, seriously

Cheers

2. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

As far as the virtual machine option goes.... No, not right now.

Snow Leopard cannot be virtualized by Parallels or VMWare (snow leopard SERVER can, but not the regular version).

Lion's EULA technically does allow virtualization, and likely will be supported by Parallels and VMWare in the future. However, neither does at this time.

Dual boot is likely your solution for the time-being.

3. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

It depends on how much work you want to invest in doing this. It can be done, but is not "supported."

Do you already own VMware Fusion 3.x?

Have you considered sharing the screen on the other system and accessing the shared screen remotely, using the computing power of the native machine?