MFi 3ft Lightning cable that's identical to Apples Lightning cable ($10)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Zmanbaseball2, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I recently received this from iXCC (their lightning cables are now Apple Certified):

iXCC ® iPhone5/5s/5c Element series Apple certified 3ft 8 pin Lightning Cable White USB SYNC Cable Charger Cord [Lightning Cable]
    http://amzn.com/B00J46VVKE

The cable is Apple certified and it looks identical to Apples Lightning cable for half the price.

Just wanted to let everyone know about this deal.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I'm surprised that such a close copy of the Apple cable would have MFi certification.

Supposedly, one of the conditions of that certification is that the connector housing size is prohibited from being as small as Apple's, which might explain why none of the cables from any widely recognized brand name have small connectors like Apple's.

I've seen generic cables that are direct copies of Apple's small housing, and claim to be iOS 7 compatible, but the wire gauge is noticeably thinner.

3. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Heh, hadn't heard that before but I'd half-suspected this was the case.

4. meistervu macrumors 65816

It has also been reported that purple is not allowed, which might explain why...

Wait a minute. That is a rather outrageous claim. I would love to see the proof. I thought Apple certification has to do with making sure the accessories meet certain minimum standard. If Monster Cable wants to make a gold braided Lightning cable, and their designs meet the minimum standard, to sell it at $1000 a piece, I am sure Apple has no issue with that.

5. Zmanbaseball2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Purple is allowed:
    EZOPower 6ft Apple Certified 8-Pin Lightning to USB Cable Sync & Ch... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HI15MH0/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_ZOQwtb0RZ18C5

6. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

They could do anything they wanted, but if they wanted to carry the MFi certification, it would have to meet Apple's guidelines.

I'm skeptical myself, but that is the explanation offered by one long time Mac peripheral maker/vendor. They deal extensively with the ODM market, and I've always known them to put thought into their products, and be straight shooters. If they wanted to procure and sell an Apple-clone cable, I'm sure they'd have little problem doing so, yet their cable, which is MFi, has a "fat" connector like everyone else.

Don't you find it strange that no reputable, well-known accessory maker offers a connector as small as Apple's? There must be some explanation for it, whether it's specifically rooted in MFi or not. The MFi program controls both development, and manufacturing licensees.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Apple exerts great control over the accessory market, which has also lead to some other oddities like the requirement that Lightning docks that have support pieces sized like the 30-pin connector, rendering them incompatible with most cases.

(see Belkin's Charge+Sync dock, which is also sold in Apple's stores, so you know they're going to play by the rules)

Most dock makers have worked around this by designing a simple non-electrical base that requires the fitting of an Apple cable.

There's only one common denominator in all of this.