Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Im interested in getting a controller for gaming, but as this topic has cooled down there aren't any good present articles or reviews.

Who has good suggestions and first hand experiences of what controllers to get and which to stay away from?

I would prefer something for iPhone/iPad not one of those controllers that grips the iPhone, but I'd like to hear about all options.

waxlabo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Im interested in getting a controller for gaming, but as this topic has cooled down there aren't any good present articles or reviews.

Who has good suggestions and first hand experiences of what controllers to get and which to stay away from?

I would prefer something for iPhone/iPad not one of those controllers that grips the iPhone, but I'd like to hear about all options.
The best controllers available are from SteelSeries.

striders

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I had the SteelSeries XL and it has pressure sensitive analog and digital buttons.

The problem is, most games that support MFI controller do not support this. Example: in Modern Combat, moving the left and right analog stick moves your character too fast, while in World of Tank, your tank rotates very slowly. This made the whole game experience very painful.

But for top down shooter like Space Marshall where pressure sensitive buttons are not needed, it'll work just fine.

Not that there is no way currently to see which games support the controller, since iTunes does not specify that.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Here is the best web site that covers mfi games and hardware:
https://www.afterpad.com

They have reviews for pretty much all of the controllers, I personally use a mad catz micro, but if I had to put chase another one I would go full size version. (I travel a bunch, so I carry the smaller one in my away bag.)

They recently started a forum as well, so it is a bit start eating but should ramp up with comments as more people hear about this site.

Another option would be mac rumor's sister site, toucharcade.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I just grabbed the full sized Mad Catz controller and I'm pretty happy with it. It did well with Top Down games, but I haven't tested it too extensively yet on pressure sensitive games

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.