Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thetrainman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Is this statement correct:

If you need to transfer data or have any interaction between iTunes and your iPhone, you will need a MFi certified charger.
However, if you simply want to charge your phone or use the Maps app in the car, any old charger will do. It doesn't need to be certified as the primary use in this function is to power the device, not carry data.

Thanks

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Yes. If you want that interaction to be reliable and reproducible. I've seen no-brand cables work, but never with any consistency (either as chargers or for data transfer).

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Might a non MFI certified cable work? Yes. But it has a decent chance of not working. With the price of MFI cables so low nowadays, it's not worth the risk.

thetrainman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Thanks.

It was more just working out about the MFI cables and data transfer vs charging.

For instance, I take a charger to work with me but as I don't have iTunes at work, transferring files to and from the device won't matter, so I could grab any old cable to charge with.

Although currently have white cable, black HTC plug - eek!

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Is this statement correct:

If you need to transfer data or have any interaction between iTunes and your iPhone, you will need a MFi certified charger.
However, if you simply want to charge your phone or use the Maps app in the car, any old charger will do. It doesn't need to be certified as the primary use in this function is to power the device, not carry data.

Thanks

Have been using a few non-branded, non-MFI cheap cables for the iPhone for a few years. Never had any issues with charging or data transfer/speed rates and have worked the same as the genuine Lightning cables. So the statement isn't exaclty true. Just thought I'd put it out there. ;)

Myorange

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Have been using a few non-branded, non-MFI cheap cables for the iPhone for a few years. Never had any issues with charging or data transfer/speed rates and have worked the same as the genuine Lightning cables. So the statement isn't exaclty true. Just thought I'd put it out there. ;)

MFi actually is about the authorization from Apple. MFi also means high quality since the products and manufacturers are approved by Apple Inc.
But MFi also means very expensive.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
since i had my iPhone 5 in 2012 and iPad air , i must of gone through 5 lightning cables. both apple and third party.

on the apple cables the plastic behind the connector starts to fray and the wires get exposed. i saw a genius refuse to switch it out, because it was physcially damaged, when the cable just wears out prematurely.

on the generic $15 lightning cables i got at cvs pharmacy the usb connector started to short out and get wobbly and cause it to disconnect / reconnect over and over

buy the cable with the best warranty and save your receipt

i think the next time one of these $15 to $29 lightning cables fail, i will try an amazon basics one.

i think i have a chance that amazon will stand behind their cable more then apple does

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
since i had my iPhone 5 in 2012 and iPad air , i must of gone through 5 lightning cables. both apple and third party.

on the apple cables the plastic behind the connector starts to fray and the wires get exposed. i saw a genius refuse to switch it out, because it was physcially damaged, when the cable just wears out prematurely.

on the generic $15 lightning cables i got at cvs pharmacy the usb connector started to short out and get wobbly and cause it to disconnect / reconnect over and over

i think the next time one of these $15 to $29 lightning cables fail, i will try an amazon basics one.

i think i have a chance that amazon will stand behind their cable more then apple does

The best warranty for a lightning cable is from tech armor. Lifetime warranty. I just got a replace to lightning cable, still on the way. This is my opinion.

Myorange

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014

You should try this one!
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-charging-cable-apple-certifie?ref=nav_search

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.