MFMailComposeViewController

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ppn, Mar 23, 2011.

1. ppn macrumors member

I have a Navigation View with a tab bar delegate so basically it has tab bars and a navigation bar. I'm trying to implement a "Refer a Friend" button where the user will click the button and a mail view will pop up. I'm using the MFMailComposeViewController but my navigation bar is covering the navigation bar for the mail composer so I can't click on the "Cancel" and "Send" button. I tried both self.navigationController.navigationBarHidden = YES and [[self navigationController] setNavigationBarHidden:YES animated:NO] but the navigation bar just won't go away. Anyone have suggestions for this? Do I need to send the mail controller view to the front to hide the navigation bar for my view controller?

Code:
            self.navigationController.navigationBarHidden = YES;
    		MFMailComposeViewController *controller = [[MFMailComposeViewController alloc] init];
    		[controller setToRecipients:recipient];
    		[controller setSubject:subject];
    		[controller setMessageBody:message isHTML:NO];
            controller.modalTransitionStyle = UIModalTransitionStyleFlipHorizontal;
    		[self presentModalViewController:controller animated:YES];
    		[controller release];

2. nickculbertson macrumors regular

nickculbertson

Did you make an IBOutlet for the nav bar? If so...
    Code:
    myNavBarName.hidden=YES;
    should work.

Nick

3. ppn thread starter macrumors member

No I didn't. The nav bar comes automatically because in my previous view, I pushviewcontroller so I didn't need to make an IBOutlet.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

5. ppn thread starter macrumors member

Self is a UIViewController. I basically have a TabBarController which is a UIViewController with tab bar at the bottom so I can use both a navigation controller and a tab bar. Then I have 3 different view controllers for the 3 different tabs. This code falls in one of the view controllers but I can't seem to get rid of the navigation bar.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

So if you open the UIViewController documentation do you see any properties that might let you access the navigation controller?

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Is the UINavigationController the parent of the UITabBarController or vice versa?

Also, have you verified that self.navigationController is non-nil?

8. ppn thread starter macrumors member

I don't have my mac in front of me right now but my structure is like this

UIViewController (Home screen) --> UIViewController (With tab bars) --> UIViewController (with the email function).

What should I do if the self.navigationController is nil?

9. dejo, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I would suggest waiting to tackle this problem until it is. Troubleshooting without access to debugging is very hard.

I'm still not clear where the UITabBarController and especially the UINavigationController fits in this hierarchy.

Well, you're not going to be able to hide the navBar if it is.

But, I don't think that is really the right approach anyways. Feels more like a band-aid to me. You should be able to present your mail composer view modally and not have to worry about its navBar being obscured. Modal views should be presented over top of any other views and not within them. So, I would try to diagnose why that's not happening for you, first.

10. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

What happens if you don't set the modalTransitionStyle?

11. Deepthi macrumors newbie

Even I am facing the same problem .. If you find the solution please tell me how to do it.