Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
http://www.apple.com/itunes

they've announced lionsgate.

But yeah, I just don't see apple getting big success in the the movie/tv buisness right now. First, as pointed out by others, you can't rent movies, and rentals make way more sense for movies. The pleasure with music often increases when you know it and you can sing along, but with movies, you usually don't care to watch it much when you know where it is going. Second, if I have a movie in mind that I want to see and I go to netflix, brick and mortar video store, whatever, I can expect to find it. Not on itunes. It sucks to shop somewhere when they don't have what you're looking for, even if you don't have to leave your house to do it, and if it happens too much, you'll stop trying. So not only does apple need a way, WAY bigger selection, they need to change their image with respect to that.

And the smaller pieces -- the devices, the popularity of digital video, the bargaining power, the appeal of the model to studios, are all worse than they were with music when the ipod was introduced.

So yes, adding these studios is helpful, but it seems to be baby steps towards being just OK, while the competition is plentiful and moving by leaps and bounds (like netflix's streaming option that is just revolutionary, and I think has a wider video selection at it's start than itunes has now, although I'm not sure since it's not mac compatible).

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
I don't understand why anybody would want to purchase movies OR television shows when I can rent them all for one low monthly fee on Netflix! What is the point in purchasing TV shows or movies -- does anybody watch a TV show more than once or twice? Does any adult watch a movie more than once or twice? It's ludicrous!

i do
i own a ridiculous amount of dvds, and i've only watched about a third of them. and of that third, about half of them i watch repeatedly. i've lost count the number of times i've watched Pulp Fiction and the Matrix and even the Mad Max movies

and if they ever bring movies to the UK iTMS, then i'll probably get them on there too even though i've got the dvds. just makes it easier to watch via the AppleTV

csimmons

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2002
Stuttgart, Germany
I don't understand why anybody would want to purchase movies OR television shows when I can rent them all for one low monthly fee on Netflix! What is the point in purchasing TV shows or movies -- does anybody watch a TV show more than once or twice? Does any adult watch a movie more than once or twice? It's ludicrous!

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that just because YOU don't watch movies more than once, that nobody else doesn't. I have a very large DVD collection, and there are certain movies that I've seen numerous times (Scarface, Goodfellas, Minority Report, The Matrix come to mind).

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
London, England
iTunes Movies

This is good that the catalog is increasing. However, there are a few things they could do to improve things (which has been mentioned several times):

iTunes movies outside the US. I really don't know why this hasn't happened yet - more so with TV shows! Surely Steve Jobs has some pull with the Disney stuff?

Higher resolution on the movies. You can download movies in high definition to your XBOX 360, so why not on iTunes? If this is a studio thing, how come they allow it on the XBOX 360? Or...

Rental model. Like Nextflix or Lovefilm. I don't think many would mind that the resolution isn't high definition if it's rented. Or...

Both. Buy high definition movies and rent the now-resolution movies.

5.1 surround sound.

Surely all of the above would enable Apple to sell AppleTVs by the truckload.

Am I missing anything?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London

God I wish iTMS would rent movies, perhaps even with an option to buy.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I hate to be the wet blanket, and I am sure this situation will change, but I am really amazed how bad the iTMS movie selection is.

em500

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
So, which studios still haven't jumped on board? I don't think there's a clear cut of how many major movie studios unlike the music industry's "big four."

From the Blu-ray Wiki page, it appears that the big studios are:

Columbia Pictures (Sony Pictures)
MGM (partially owned by Sony Pictures)
Disney
Lionsgate
20th Century Fox
Paramount Pictures (Viacom)
DreamWorks (Viacom)
Warner Bros (Time Warner)
New Line (Time Warner)
Universal Studios
Weinstein Company

So, yeah, they still have a long way to go.

United Artists is an MGM subsidiary btw.

edit: corrected Viacom ownership

spotlight07

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2007
My AppleTV came yesterday!
So, yeah, they still have a long way to go
I'm glad most/some of the major movie companies have signed on now to iTunes. At least it is better than just Disney.

There are some movies that I buy, not new releases but old classics. For new releases I rent (unless I go to the theater). I own probably 20 or so movies, and at least three of those I watch every few of months.

Point is, I rent 5-15 movies a week thru NetFlix and RedBox. We don't always finish every movie, but my girlfriend and I go on movie watching marathons on weekends especially. And I put in a movie before bed helps me fall asleep.

Apple, if you're reading this, please add streaming movie rentals to iTunes! I would cancel Netflix and stop renting Redbox altogether.

Better yet, please add the ability to rent right from the Apple TV remote, if possible.

Bottomline, I'd rather rent a movie twice than own it. (See it the first time, couple years later maybe rent it again.)

daferrisda

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2006
What about the UK

Very interesting but when is the UK getting these films and TV programs, has anyone heard anything ?

oilster

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2006
free "videodownloads"...

I do not even bother thinking about buying DVDs or downloading films since I got a 160GB Harddiscrecorder in combination with satellite TV (channels are free in Europe). Some evenings/nights there are up to three excellent movies (on some channels even without commercials), within some weeks you can build up a decent library with great films that way...

Curtis72

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2007
Renting vs Purchasing

I would rather buy a DVD or Blu-Ray disc. But for some older movies, iTunes is a good choice. But so should I rent vs buy? Well for $9.99, I would rather buy a movie. I haven't rented from Blockbuster or Hollywood Video in awhile, but it usually costs $4.65 per movie (if I recall correctly). So for a little more than double the price, you can actually own a copy of film. The one problem is the lack of HD movies. Yes. You can view some HD video postcast, movie trailers, or your own HD home movies. But that is the main point Apple is selling the AppleTV for.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
From the Blu-ray Wiki page, it appears that the big studios are:

Columbia Pictures (Sony Pictures)
MGM (Sony Pictures)
Disney
Lionsgate
20th Century Fox (Viacom)
Paramount Pictures (Viacom)
DreamWorks (Time Warner)
Warner Bros (Time Warner)
Universal Studios
Weinstein Company

So, yeah, they still have a long way to go.

United Artists is an MGM subsidiary btw.
20th Century Fox is NewsCorp, not Viacom BTW.

mechamac

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2003
Across 110th Street is a good flick. Nice to see it on iTunes. So if MGM is on board, when will we see some 007?

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
So, which studios still haven't jumped on board? I don't think there's a clear cut of how many major movie studios unlike the music industry's "big four."

Well, here's clearly who have:

Disney - Disney, Buena Vista, Touchstone
Paramount - Paramount Pictures
Lionsgate - Lionsgate, Studio Canal back catalog
MGM
United Artists

Among the bigger players, that leaves:

Sony Pictures Entertainment - Columbia, Tri-Star, Screen Gems
Time-Warner - Warner Bros., New Line Cinema
News Corp. - 20th Century Fox, Fox2000, Fox Searchlight
NBC-Universal - Universal Studios
Viacom - Dreamworks SKG
Dreamworks Animation
The Weinstein Company
Miramax (Disney)

Yes, please!

I want rentals even MORE than I want to see high-def come to iTunes.

I don't wish to waste space (nor download time) storing movies that I will never watch again. Which is most movies! They're fun once, if that, but it's not like music you can listen to over and over while doing other things.

And of course the PRICE of a rental would be lower than a purchase.

Renting music, no. Renting movies, YES.

What would you be willing to pay to rent a movie?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.