MGS4 Release Date + PS3 Bundle + DS3 ZOMG!!!!oon11!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Feb 26, 2008.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I assume it will launch Europe around the same time, albeit without the 80GB bundle.. :) But personally not a MGS fan :eek:

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Wow that sounds like a great boost for the PS3 console, MGS4 should be an excellent game and that bundle doesn't sound too expensive.

Hopefully this will move a few units, I would hate to see MGS4 go multi-platform and the quality of the series diminished (like it happened with Devil May Cry 4).

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's a rather silly stance and ill thought out position. There is no evidence that a multi-platform game is suddenly made worse because its on more than one platform.

DMC4 sucked because Capcom seemingly have ran out of ideas for the series, not because it is on both consoles.

Nearly 90% of games on PS3 and Xbox are multi-platform. Many of the top sellers and highest rated games are multi-platform, their quality is not diminished because they are on more than one system.

That kind of FUD statement, belongs elsewhere really. I thought this section was maturing of late, don't prove me wrong.

4. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Oh yeah! I challenge you to name one multi-platform game that was only released on one system. :p

Heh heh. But what I think (s)he is referring to is that games are not usually fully optimized for systems if they are being developed for multiple platforms at the same time. That a developer has less resources to devote to a single sytem when there are multiple systems that need to be taken care of.

Also, there are plenty of shoddy ports out there.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

So we got GOD:COO, Army Of Two, darkSector, GTA IV, HAZE, MGS4, Condemned:Bloodshot releasing month after month....reminds me of October-December 2007 all over again.

Seems like 2008 is a good year to game.....too bad I won't have that much time to get all in.

Bless

6. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Hey, that's my birthday! Maybe I'll finally get a "next gen" console to replace the Gamecube.

Then again, I don't own a TV, so probably not. :D

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

You forgot the PSN Store GUI full update, also in April, to look a bit more like the SingStore. It doesn't look like the DS3 will be in white :(. I'll probably just get an import next week, only $5 extra.

8. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Always time for Patapon, though, right? :)

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:p LOL! You know what I meant :p

Well these days it's all transient though - it seems that for console games they are still exclusives even if they are on PC too which I always find a joke.

As for quality & optimization - whilst true to some extent it really boils down to the developer not the hardware. COD4 is excellent on both platforms and equally as optomised for example.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Really....I didn't know that. Do you have a link to it so I can have a read?

Gaming on the go is a blessing...besides I can't resist the little buggers:)

Bless

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah some really good games next few months :( Damn the expense !! ;)

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is looking very promising too. At least it leads into the summer drought so we can finally get around to playing them :D

12. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

But CoD4 basically had a limitless budget being a HUGE AAA title which allowed a big enough team to make it for 3 platforms plus an offshoot DS game (that might have been out sourced). If the resources are put into it, multi-platform shouldn't be a big deal, but if the dev has less $$$ and time....

this year is shaping up to be crazy. All the game 2ny listed (including Patapon... I hate you 2ny) just for spring, then Too Human actually sounds decent from 1up, Resistance 2, Gears 2, Fabe 2, Mario Kart, Crisis Core, Killzone 2..... mucho sequels this summer/fall

13. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

14. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Kotaku should give us royalties for linking so many stories to them :p

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
  16. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

17. Pine-Tree macrumors member

Pine-Tree

Well Sony has been saying that this was going to be their year to shine, we'll see. These bundles should move some units so that's good for them unless MGS4 turned out to be a flop which I doubt. That with Blu-Ray winning the war should also move plenty of PS3 units.

The DualShock 3 has been a long time coming and I was going to import a couple this week so now I'm going to just hold off until they come stateside, don't really care about the color.

I've been on the fence of whether to get a PSP, and the red one with the God of War game and extras bundle might finally pull me in and get me to buy one. I'd have to wait till June it seems, oh well.

Overall good bundles, now Sony needs to release Home and start to seriously do something about online gaming being up to par with Live.

18. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

It affects development much more than you may think :rolleyes: when considering multiple platforms developers often have to grasp the concept of "catering to the weakest link" this mean, to cut down on development times (don't think that developing for two consoles side by side is easy, especially such contrasting platforms as the 360 and the PS3 and now even the Wii) they have to simplify things, this is why often times games for the PC that are also on console are stripped of features. When you are meeting a deadline, you have no choice but to focus your time on stuff that will help all platforms, not concentrate on each one's strengths.

The next issue is cost, not only do you have to pay for more programmers working more time but then also comes the cost of bigger advertising campaigns, bigger support and the trouble of dealing with both Sony and 360 on the licensing and distribution of the game.

It's true, some games like Call of Duty 4 are multi-platform and still end up being excellent but before you dismiss my claims as silly and my position as "ill-thought out" and go on the verge of calling me a troll you should think about what goes into development for a game and how much harder it becomes when more than one platform being developed for. Many multi-platform games have been shortchanged for a platform or other because of this, and while this effect is much more apparent on PC games, it can also happen between the PS3 and the Xbox 360.

You should listen to people's opinions before dismissing them as FUD. Unlike you, I actually took the time to listen to what you had to said and reply to it in a constructive, respectful way.

19. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I have not yet attempted to develop something multiplatform, but I may push it upon my GAM300/350 team to do so, so I'll soon know how that's going to be like. I feel like it may not be all that easy, we'll see.

I do hope in my career that I'll be able to work on exclusive stuff, though.

Anyways, really looking forward to MGS4. Is someone going to be creating an official thread here for it as it nears release?

20. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I'm looking forward to MGS4. If I end up getting a 1080p TV myself and some more Blu-ray movies now that the HD format war seems to be cooling off, my PS3 will get more use in 2008 than it ever did in 2007.

21. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Cant. Wait. OMG. NEED. HDTV. ASAP. hehehe seriously, MGS1,2 &3 were awesome ; MGS4 will be even better.

Victor

22. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

and don't forget all, the Metal Gear Solid: Essential Collection comes out in 3 weeks!!!! MGS 1,2,3 for $30!!!! :D

23. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I'm getting it. I'll play it on my BC PS3 :D.