MGS4 too big for Blu-Ray??

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by zelmo, Mar 3, 2008.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

emphasis added

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Emphasis added ;)

They must be using a sh*t load of 1080p Pre-Rendered FMV (as in every MGS game where cutscenes make up 50% of the actual game)

Rant warning and in all seriousness.

Do you honestly believe this game has more dialogue than oblivion ?

Do you honestly believe that it will be significantly better looking than crysis ?

Do you honestly believe the scale of this game really clarify 50gb worth of space ?

If you do... Thank you for believing in the hype.

Forget fanboyism's, lets just be real here.... I will wager all my money that this game is nothing more than the usual bog standard MGS game with absolute hideous amounts of uncompressed FMV which is what is filling up the disc and not actual 'gameplay' content.

No doubt though some fools will rush in here claiming it has to be true.. Some peeps will make some reference to 360 with SUX! and all that junk, and then by may after MGS4 hysteria has withered and disappeared they will all just chow down on humble pie.

Just like the 9GB per level in LAIR ;)

Rant over....

I love my ps3's, but I hate bull****. ;)

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

is this just his unwillingness to compress anytthing?

because honestly, its kind of pointless!

4. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

5. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

That was kinda funny. They can barely fit the game on a blu-ray disc, but all the glorious bonus content will fit on a DVD, heh. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all 360 games on DVD's? And aren't they also HD? I'm no maths whiz, but...

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Maybe they're using single-layer Blu-ray disks, and the "sacrifices" were no uncompressed video (curse you H.264!)? ;)

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Obviously marketing mumbo-jumbo at play but I'm glad Kojima is using the space he is afforded with blu ray.

And MRU, just because you hate on MGS doesn't mean others of us don't like the usual MGS beautifully crafted cut scenes as they DO add to the experience despite not being gameplay :p Better than 90% of the crap that graces consoles today.

The only thing worse than devs/Sorny using this all the time is people whining about them using it. Get over it already :rolleyes: It's no different than taking "Amazing" for a marketing headline when the quote was "Amazing how crappy this game is". No matter how much you whine and moan people are still gonna fall for it so face reality.

8. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Can't wait for this game, but filling up a Blu-Ray is silly.. :/

9. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Yes it won't fit on a 360 DVD, but this isn't coming to 360 anyway.

10. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Thanks :) For what it's worth, I'll be buying MGS4 for PS3 based solely on this thread and the fact that CD4 is the only game I have on BR disc so far (just got console last week).

11. angelneo macrumors 68000

They probably started off thinking "hey, we got 50 gig of space, we can put all sort of uncompressed stuff in it". By the time they were reaching the end of the development cycle, they would probably be going "oh sh**".

It's the same theory everywhere, once you give the luxury of anything more, people will used it up as much as they can.

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

remembers me when kojima bursted out that DVD is too small for metal gear solid x (don't remember) and thus had to use dual layer discs only that after release it was found out that 60% of the disc was just uncompressed music

you can expect the very same here

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The cutscenes are well made, but they aren't gameplay. I scream at them most of the time because they can not be skipped. But seriously a 12 hour game for example, shouldn't be made up of 6 hours worth of dialogue and cutscenes. If that's going to be the case you may as well forget the game altogether... actually thinking about it that for me is the biggest problem with MGS games..

They feel to me - like the actual gameplay content is slightly irrelevant and only there to get you from one long overblown cut scene to the other, and it should be the other way around.

But hey...... I know I'm in the minority when it comes to MGS

14. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

They can't be skipped? Are you sure about that?

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

What's the likelihood this actually fits onto a single-layer DVD, if they weren't so lazy (like the 4-disc FFVII being less than 70MB once all the FMV was removed...)

16. Pine-Tree macrumors member

Pine-Tree

I'm guessing it might be that too. More like 99%, haha.

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

MRU, I respect you greatly but in this case, you my friend are totally

[​IMG]

I fired up both MGS2 and 3, and aside from the very brief 2 sentence introduction to MGS 3, all cut scenes can be skipped with the start button and all codec discussions can be skipped by holding triangle....

18. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I had thought as much. *nods*

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

When I worked for Ineterplay, they released a 700k game on CD, just to help detour piracy. Back then 650 megs was ENORMOUS!

I agree with other, it sounds like this game will contain a massive amount of video. That's certainly why I like gaming, nothing is more entertaining than watching instead of playing.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

DOH!! Can they..... ? I thought the first time you played through you couldn't skip them ? Oh well if I'm wrong I hold my hands up...

I know the codec can be skipped because it was the only way I'd ever tolerate than mundanity of looking at two characters faces mumbling garbage dialogue written by some cast off writers from a late night cable tv soap ;)

But I didn't think the fmv was skippable at all... oh well :)

21. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

its ok MRU, we still love you :p I was just aching to bust out that picture...

22. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Ok so it is THAT big, now I hope it can be THAT good. I personally can't wait and I don't care if the online is on one disc and the single player is on another it is gonna be awesome.

ChrisN

23. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I've never tried to skip the cutscenes on the first time! If you're not watching the cutscene, your not playing the game properly.

The cutscenes are what make the game in my opinion. The story is thrilling, like a book you cant put down. The gameplay is good, but nothing to the story! I like the way in MGS3 Subsistence one of the bonus disks has all the cutscenes arranged in a way that it can be watched without playing at all.

24. Pine-Tree macrumors member

Pine-Tree

I'm the same, I actually enjoy the Metal Gear story and like watching all the cutscenes even if some of it is a little weird. I bought the really limited MGS3 version with that DVD that was all just all the cutscenes thrown together like a movie.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If your watching 60% cutscenes and on 40% game that's the problem..

So you like looking at games rather than playing them ? how interesting. ;) Next up you'll be telling us you enjoy driving a car but only while sat as a passenger in a bus :p