Mi-Fi v/s Increasing Data Package thru AT&T

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bt22, Oct 20, 2012.

1. bt22 macrumors 6502

Me and my family took a little trip up to Stone Mountain, GA this past Thursday and Friday. I used my iPhone 5 and Apple Maps on the trip to Stone Mountain, which is about 4 hours from where I live. We went up thru Pine Mountain, Ga and Senoia, GA, so a lot of back country roads. Apple Maps worked perfect for me. Never missed a beat and brought me to the front door of every place we went. I currently have the 200 mb data package from AT&T which I think has been updated to 300 mb now. During our trip I got a data usage warning from AT&T that I had used 65% of my data allowance. I checked with AT&T and I can upgrade to a 4 GB shared data plan that will also allow me to use the Hotspot feature on my phone. My question is this. Should I buy a Mi-Fi device that I can pay for a data package when needed, such as a trip, or would you upgrade the data package, which I will have to pay $20.00 more a month every month? Sorry for the long post...

2. nephron8 macrumors regular

Get mifi with prepaid sim.
    That will serve better.

3. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

If 200-300 mb per month is normally enough then it doesn't make much sense to commit to another $20 every month in more data. Are you on the GoPhone plan with ATT? or under contract?