Mic input on 13" MacBook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mildredop, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Mildredop macrumors 68020

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

In the same place as the headphone out. It is a combo jack. A quick googling of "Macbook pro audio in" would've answered your questions faster than I have.

Be aware, that jack supports only line-in, so if whatever Mic you're plugging into it isn't line-level, it may not work.

3. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

I did Google and everything I found told me to select the appropriate input. But that option doesn't exist on my Mac. The only option is Internal Mic.

Attached Files:

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Do you have a mic plugged into he port?

5. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

yep, need to plug in a mic+headphone combo, then it will appear in the list.

6. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

A what? (I had a mic plugged in)

7. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

something like the headphones that come with the iphone... a simple 'musician' mic with a mono p2 jack would not be detected as a mic by that port.

cheers

8. BrettApple, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015

BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

The new MacBook Pros don't have a line in through the headphone port anymore. I know, stupid. But it's gone. It used to be two separate ports (my 2008 MacBook was) then it was a combo in/out, and with the retina models. It's just gone.

The only mic that will still work are ones that use a three pin connecter and have an in-line mic with the headphones. Such as the Ear Pods or many others. But there is no standard line in anymore. You can get a USB audio interface fairly cheaply that will work. But it is a shame that it's no longer included. I used to use it on my '08 all the time for simple stuff.

Illustrated:
    [​IMG]

9. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

This is what I feared. Someone should sue Apple for calling this a pro machine. It's so dumbed-down it's ridiculous.

10. brand, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015

brand macrumors 601

brand

They can call it whatever they want as it's just a name. Just because something has "pro" in the name doesn't mean anything.

The specs were well documented and published prior to anyone purchasing it so it is their fault for not properly researching prior to purchasing. If you want to play the "pro" card I can see how a general consumer would not researching prior to purchasing but for a "pro" not to research prior to purchasing is inexcusable and then to try to place blame on someone else for their lack of research is even worse.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Someone should sue Apple because you fell for a marketing gimmick? A real "pro" wouldn't be plugging a microphone directly into a laptop.