Mic Input Propblem

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by flippingjax, Dec 23, 2008.

1. flippingjax macrumors newbie

I was trying to record some drums using Garage Band on my MacBook Pro. I have a microphone going into an amp and then the output of the amp goes into my computer. The amp is there to provide power for the mic. I've done this before and I've had no problems. However I was doing a test run before I actually started recording and I recorded about a 10 second-long test audio. About 3 seconds of this worked fine but then something happened to the feed. It started having this pulsating effect on the recording. It kind of sounds like I'm removing the mic and reinserting it over and over. Since this started happening, this is all my mic input on my computer does. I've looked at the audio options in System Preferences and it is the input not Garage Band. Also I tried plugging in headphones into the input jack just to see what would happen and I get the same pulsing deal. Does anyone know how I can fix this? It seems to me that it is a problem with my jack but I'm not sure. Thanks alot

2. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

3. flippingjax thread starter macrumors newbie

Its just some guitar amp but I don't think it would matter because the pulsing happens when I just put something into the mic jack on my computer. Something meaning headphones, a mic, or just an adapter for the jack with nothing connected to it. Do you think it is a problem with my jack?

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

sounds like kind of a strange setup from the get-go. what kind of mic? does your guitar amp have a mic input on it? if not, there's probably an impedance mismatch between the mic and the guitar amp, and that will cause some problems right there.

what kind of output is the amp providing? line level? is your mac set up to take a line level in? or are you feeding a line level output into a mic input?

5. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Sounds like you screwed up the input on your computer by plugging a guitar amp into it.