Mic Static

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ipaddress, Sep 5, 2010.

1. ipaddress macrumors newbie

I bought an external USB sound card just for the purpose of connecting a mic to my mac mini, which does not have a mic in port. I've used this mic on my pc without any problems at all, but now when I use it on the mac, I've encountered some static.

When I first start recording or doing a voice chat, it sounds ok but the static will get increasingly worse - to the point where my voice is unintelligible. I've used Quicktime to record my voice and Gmail for my voice chats. However, GarageBand records my voice perfectly! I do not know whether it is the software, or maybe the external sound card that is causing this static.

The iMic was overpriced(more expensive than the mic itself) so I bought a cheap external sound card. My mic is only a few weeks old and I do not want to buy another one anytime soon. The mini should've just come with a mic in port instead of a line in. Don't know where the problem is coming from.

Any help with the static?

2. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

You could get an Andrea USB adapter that you could plug your mic into and go through the USB port on the Mac.