Mic vs line in?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by guitargoddsjm, Jun 9, 2008.

1. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Is it possible to use the built in microphone and something plugged into the line in jack simultaneously?

I'm using recording software and I'm trying to record two tracks at the same time; one with a direct line coming from my guitar, and the other with the built in mic. Can this be done? Or will I have to do each track individually and switch the inputs...

2. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I don't think so. Just like the speakers, when a microphone is plugged in, the mics get disabled.

3. guitargoddsjm thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I know this definitely applies to speakers, but I'm not so sure about the internal mic.

If you open up Sound Preferences and go to "output," it should say "internal speakers"; however, when you plug in a pair of headphones, it'll change to say "headphones" as what is currently outputting sound.

Even when nothing is plugged into the line in jack, there are two separate devices listed, "internal microphone" and "line in."

When you have headphones plugged in, you can't use the speakers at all; however, when you have something plugged into the line in, you can switch between line in and the internal microphone simply by changing the preferences.

But can you use them simultaneously..

:confused:

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Yes, it is possible, using software that supports it. Such as Logic or possibly Garageband.

5. guitargoddsjm thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, how would you do this in Logic then? When I go under audio settings, it only lets me choose one or the other...