Mice are killing me!

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by crapforks, Apr 22, 2016.

1. crapforks, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016

crapforks macrumors newbie

crapforks

This is my first post so please delete at will if I'm breaking any rules. I have a 2012 Mac Mini and I am having terrible luck with mice. I bought cheap (Logitech M705) and it started not tracking properly after a few months. New batteries? Nope! Different surface; i.e. wood desktop, blank paper, linen, old mousepad? Nope! Different USB port for receiver? Nope!
    So I decide to order another mouse. This time even cheaper(Amazon Basics) and run into the same problem. The mouse just doesn't want to track my movements. It freezes for 10-20 seconds at a time. I feel I have run through all of the possible solutions I can think of so I turn to you, MR community. How do I fix this?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Use Bluetooth or wired mice instead.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

I like the logic - cheap mouse doesn't work well, so an even cheaper mouse will fix the problem?

By the way, what kind of keyboard are you using?

When you use a wireless mouse that requires a USB receiver dongle, you're not taking advantage of the Mac's built-in Bluetooth, which may be more robust.

Now, something to consider is whether the Mac's Bluetooth is currently turned on. If your mice require separate receivers and you have no other wireless devices, then you don't need the Mac's Bluetooth turned on - there is the possibility that it's interfering with your mouse's receiver.

5. crapforks thread starter macrumors newbie

crapforks

That would be the simplest solution, I was just hoping for a driver or something that I missed. I have bought two (cheap) mice already and a third one (although also cheap) just stings.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2016 ---
    I am using the apple wireless keyboard. I suppose that could be an issue.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Two cheap mice, if both are wireless, and each works for a while, then stops working....
    I think your (cheap or not) wireless mouse is using 2.4GHz wireless, and possibly is interfering with your wifi router. (or, actually your Wifi router is interfering with your mouse connection.)
    You could try changing the radio settings on your wireless router to transmit on a different channel. If that is the issue, then it may fix your issue pretty easily.

Or, go to a bluetooth mouse. Or USB wired. Either of those will be a good choice, too.

7. tibas92013, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016

tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Great Wireless Connection to my MM(Late 2012) for almost two(2) years with a Logitech Performance MX Mouse!

8. crapforks thread starter macrumors newbie

crapforks

Thanks for the replies. I decided to get a wired mouse. Yes, a cheap one! It probably was the bluetooth or the 2.4 band on my router messing with the mouse's connection.

9. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I've been using a blueteeth M705 Logitech on a 2012 Mini for several months now without incident. Mrs dogslobber uses one too without the fancy Logitech s/w installed. So far so good.

10. Lankyman macrumors 68000

I have used the Logitech Laser wireless mouse with my iMac for around 5 years now with zero problems. Another plus is the batteries last on average 4 months.

11. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I find the trackpads so superior to the mouse I can't understand why you would prevail without trying it.

12. Lankyman, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016

Lankyman macrumors 68000

They are so good I sent mine back to Apple within a couple of days and the wife refuses point blank to use a computer that doesn't have a mouse.

Trackpads are hateful inaccurate products.

13. frank4, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016

frank4 macrumors regular

frank4

Using a Logitech M557 BlueTooth mouse for about 2 years, works great, no tracking problems, very responsive. Slightly modified to remove wheel rotation ratchet click. Also have the Apple Magic Mouse and trackpad but rarely use them (should sell them).

14. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Oh, I didn't realise you were using Bootcamp.

15. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Back when, there was discussions about Bluetooth and wifi interference with USB devices. Apparently it isn't just Apple though. It has to do with the USB 3.0 chips (been awhile since I gave it much thought and I'm being lazy in not searching the forums). Many were able to overcome the issue by simply using a USB extension cord (even as short as 9"/25cm) so that whatever device they were trying to use were no longer plugged directly into the back of the Mini.

You should really give that a try to see if that solves your problem if this is still an issue.

16. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

If it's the logitech model i am thinking of, the logitech wireless receiver has problems with USB 3 ports and interference.

Not just on macs, in general.

As above, get a bluetooth one, or one with a cord. The proprietary logitech wifi receivers often just don't work properly with USB 3.

17. crapforks thread starter macrumors newbie

crapforks

Funny. I actually did that. I had a small (12"?) extender and I had no idea where it came from, so I tested that but had the same problems. Also in my random box of cables and adapters I found a USB hub with maybe a 6" extender and tried through that. I'm guessing it must have been interference with something else. Not much in the world is more frustrating than a mouse that works for a only couple minutes at a time.

18. aicul macrumors 6502a

Maybe a silly question; but is there a metal object between the mouse and the mac; say the mac is under a metal table, etc. that could screen you signal whatever the frequency is.

19. Cycling Asia macrumors regular

I hated trackpads until I got a MBA, the trackpad on them is just right. I've also tried a mac mini with an external trackpad - it sucked. I've also tried using trackpads on other people's Macs, it sucked also. Why? Because my trackpad is set up exactly for me. They are very powerful and customisable (through software), so once you get used to using one, going back to a mouse (or another setup for a trackpad) is painful.

With a trackpad I can:
    - open applications,
    - move windows,
    - show (and hide) the launcher,
    - bring up the context menu,
    - create, destroy, switch virtual desktops,
    - natural scrolling (like pushing a page up or down)
    - zoom in and out
    - and much more that I can think of at the moment.

For me to be able to do all this with a mouse, it would need a lot of buttons and other gadgets.

Anyway to keep on topic, if you want to have a wireless mouse, don't buy a cheap wireless mouse (as you've discovered, they won't work well and you'll end up replacing them)

20. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Buy a Logitech G900 for $75 USD / $100 CDN at bestbuy today.

Never any lag and wireless.

21. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Logitech make some excellent mouses/mice :( I long since ditched the Apple MM for a Logitech wireless laser. Battery last months too.

22. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If you're using a wireless mouse (that does NOT use bluetooth to connect, but a "USB receiver" instead), you may be experiencing interference from USB3.

The solution is to MOVE THE RECEIVER away from the USB ports at the back of the Mini (I'm assuming that you may have it plugged into one of the USB ports).

Solutions:
    1. I have a WIRED USB keyboard that has 2 USB ports on either end. I keep the wireless receiver plugged into the right end of the keyboad and close to the mouse -- no interference.

2. Get a 3' USB "extender cable" (has male connector on one end and a female connector on the other). Plug the receiver into the end of the extender cable and locate it in proximity to the mouse.