Mice For Games

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thefireboy, Nov 14, 2008.

1. thefireboy macrumors member

Hey
    I need to know whether i should buy a gaming mouse because the mighty mouse doesn't allow right and left click simultaneously
    Cheers Jake

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Yes you should.

I'm not a gamer, but I know using a Mighty Mouse is annoying even with Starcraft.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'll reiterate my suggestion from another thread, and suggest the Logitech MX Revolution. I have the previous-gen, and find it excellent both for gaming and for everyday use. :)

I couldn't imagine gaming with the Mighty Mouse.

4. thefireboy thread starter macrumors member

Wow that thing looks to awesome
    but sadly i don't have £40-£60 to spend on a mouse any other suggestions?

5. thefireboy thread starter macrumors member

6. thefireboy thread starter macrumors member

Infact i just found the Logitech MX518 and i think i will go for that apparentky its very good

7. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

mx518 is amazing. one of the best gaming mice ever.

8. Jak3 macrumors regular

but the MX518 is windows only... how do you use it in OSX?

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

That's what I have, and it is wonderful. I use it with steermouse, which allows you to program all of the buttons to do whatever you want. It's really great for games, and in every other application, too.

10. aibo macrumors 6502

Just got a MX518 and it's great. The one bad thing is that the up/down buttons for on-the-fly sensitivity changing are not remappable -- not even with USB Overdrive. I'd much rather have them be re-mapped to something else since I'll never need to change mouse sensitivity on the fly. Anyway, I was able to remedy it by swapping in an old MX510 motherboard and now the buttons are configurable again.

11. ToastyX macrumors regular

They are remappable with SteerMouse, and the older 1600 DPI version is remappable with USB Overdrive 10.4.5. USB Overdrive hasn't been updated to support the 1800 DPI version.

12. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Some normal mouses has those functions. Gaming mouses are normally just good looking ones. I bet you can find some normal mouses that have the same features.

13. aibo macrumors 6502

Ah, good to know. I tried USB Overdrive and Logitech's own device drivers, which didn't even recognize the mouse at all. I didn't try SteerMouse :mad:

14. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I got this mouse for christmas and I LOVE IT! :D I've always wanted a gaming mouse because of their high dpi, but they're always very un-ergonomic. The mx revolution feels like heaven in your hands. 100 USD is a little pricey for a mouse, but you can get it on amazon for about 50 (I think).

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Steermouse always wins. :D

16. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Yup. :D I use mine for Call of Duty 2, and it's fantastic. I was playing bit of CoD 4 on my parents' PC, with a somewhat-decent but pretty standard Microsoft mouse, and it was killing me...

I think Logitech makes some of the best mice in the industry. Great ergonomics, and they manage to cram it with features without having buttons everywhere. Love their products...

17. migsev macrumors regular

have both an MX518 and a G5 and i like the G5 better. it has a little more grip then the MX and the weights are a nice option to have.

18. CBGFilms macrumors regular

Logitech VX Nano

I recently got the Logitech VX Nano this christmas its £35 on Amazon I think. Its really nice and comfortable, and it looks sleek.

Its designed as a "Laptop" mouse, but I think its fine, its just a tiny bit smaller than usual mouses, its USB RF Wireless too!

19. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I just reserved a Logitech VX Nano for my self cost me £24.35, quite chuffed. What are the differences in this and the revolution?

20. Wooglin macrumors newbie

The differences between the two are the size, the receiver size, and the button count.
    I'm using a Nano right now, but have handled both of them. The reciever is what drew me to this mouse, because I've always knocked bigger recievers with my hand or things on my desk. The MX Revolution has some kind of app switching thing built in, but the extra buttons weren't for me.
    Oh, and the Nano has the best scroll wheel I've ever used.

21. thefireboy thread starter macrumors member