Michael Vick Sentenced to 23 Months

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by zioxide, Dec 10, 2007.

1. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

ESPN

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

He was an exciting athlete to watch. The Falcons will suffer for years and he is losing at least two seasons from the prime of his career. Having said all this, the sentence is fair and I hope he gets counseling in prison.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

oh come on.....and some people get away with murdering people!

i just hope Vick gets to play in the NFL again. the falcons need him, bad. and he was the most exciting player to watch. whether they won or lost, it was always fun to watch him play

5. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

He won't play in the NFL again. He's going to end up missing at least 3 seasons, probably 4 (he wont be out of prison until Nov 09, thats 3 seasons.. Goodell will probably keep him suspended for at least another year).

**** him anyways.

He had it all and he threw it all away.

6. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I don't have a problem with the sentence. I don't think it's too harsh nor too lenient. The guy clearly has a problem (either with gambling, dog fighting or both) and this will probably give him a chance to get it worked out, or at least start down that path. He seems at least semi-sincere in his apologies since, which is more than can be said for a lot of troubled athletes.

However, I do think Vick was way over-rated as a player.

Exciting? Yes. Great? No.

7. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

He won't see 12 months behind bars. Probably less than 3.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No way I hope he never plays again! He doesn't represent the NFL well at all.
    I doubt he'll see even 1/2 that time behind bars but even still he'll never play again. Good riddance.

9. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

The report said the best he could hope for was 3 months off for good behavior.

With the circus this case has become, they'll be riots at PETA offices around the world if he serves any less than a year.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

no, probably about 12. ~ half off for good behavior.

don't forget he still has the state charges to deal with

11. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

I bet you are 100% wrong...:rolleyes:

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't understand why he should be banned from the NFL. I dislike the guy because I think he is a poor QB and poor teammate as other than his Green Bay playoff win he has not earned any team-based accolades while manning a position that demands leadership and accountability.

Did he engage in conduct detrimental to the game? Not conduct detrimental to the image of the league, mind you - I'm looking for something detrimental to the integrity of the game.

It may not be in the interest of any team to sign him to a contract, what with any negative publicity that the team may endure. It may not be in their interest to sign him, because, well, if he starts to slow down he'll be a mediocre QB. But, there may be a team that is desperate enough to sign him and let him play.

Once he has served any required legal sentences, the league has no reason to deny the guy the ability to sign with any team that would have him. His betrayal was to his dogs and to society at large. He didn't engage in any activity that would cause doubt to fall upon the execution of the game.

If someone can explain to me why the league needs to ban him outright, I'd appreciate it. I'd also be curious to know where you were when Leonard Little was allowed to take the field in 1999. If you weren't marching outside of NFL HQ, I'd love to know which convict hire you were protesting.

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

there are plenty that don't. didn't Jamal Lewis go to jail for cocaine?

he'll probably serve 90% of his time. then i hope he gets to play again

14. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

He HAS to serve at least 85% of that time. He's also already served 3 weeks of it. So he has about 20 months to go.

15. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

How can you say that he should play in the NFL again? Sure he was fun to watch, so was OJ, but after what he's done, he should never grace a football field again in his life.

16. EMU1337 macrumors member

EMU1337

Honestly I think his case was blown way out of proportion, if it was any other guy fighting dogs I doubt it would have gotten a second of tv time, and the guy probably would have been fined with community service. I've seen many people first hand, and I'm sure many of you have to, get away with a lot worse crimes for a lot less jail time or none at all. I'm not at all saying dog fighting is ok but what I believe is that PETA has a way of making HUGE deals out of animal cruelty. I'm pretty sure PETA cares more about animals than humans (I think there was a South Park episode about this...very funny) and that is a little ****ed up. Vick should have have gotten suspended from the NFL for a year, maybe 6 months in jail, some community service, and a fine. I can't wait to see all the PETA guys freak about this post.

17. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Yeah but this guy had everything, and he still wanted more and harmed innocent animals to get it. It just stinks of malice... He should not get to play another game

18. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

C'mon people!!! Do you think its fair that celebrities like Paris Hilton et al. get out of jail time???? Michael Vick is no better....

19. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

But, why shouldn't he be allowed to play? Are you advocating official banishment from the NFL, or are you arguing that there might be bad publicity and so it wouldn't be PR friendly for him to play, or are you suggesting that you don't think he's a good enough QB?

20. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If he serves 20 months or so in jail, his debt to society would have been paid off. What he had to go through will discourage him and other rich people from doing something like that, so it is OK for him to go back to his job. If you don't allow ex-offenders from getting their jobs back, you'd be forcing them into a life of crime just to earn a living. He is probably rich enough to live comfortably, so it may not seem like this would apply to him, but it is the general principle that should count. Not bending the rules for anybody means not bending them to the detriment of anybody as well.

Of course, by the time he gets out of jail, he might be too rusty to play, so all this discussion could easily be moot.

21. fotografica macrumors 68040

As long as Al Davis is running the Raiders,there's a team that will take him..

22. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

CFL is more exciting. ;)

1 year and 11 months doesn't seem harsh enough. Should have been 3-4 years, since he was so involved in this (and lied about this to investigators through the entire case). And like was mentioned in the article, he was "in this thing up to his neck", which showed on a polygraph test.

However......I'm glad he was punished at all. In fact, I'm shocked that the American justice system actually jailed a star athlete.

24. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

It would have been more if he didn't plead guilty.

25. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Meh. The sentence is ok, if it's carried out. However, since it probably won't be, it's a little on the light side. I'm happy as long as he never plays again and has to pay massive fines. His life shouldn't be luxurious anymore. He caused pain and suffering, and needs to be reminded of that for a very long time.