Mickey and Minnie Don't tell me the time anymore :(

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by I-Bot, Oct 30, 2016.

1. I-Bot macrumors member

I-Bot

Hey Everyone,

So I wanted to show someone I work with the feature in the Apple Watch where you tap Minnie or Mickey and they tell you what time it is but when I switched to both Mickey and Minnie and tapped them, nothing happened. It was working just fine not so long ago and I think it only started happening when I updated to the latest Watch OS, I was wondering if anyone else had this issue or if this was only for me? Also if it's only me, does anyone have a fix for it? I haven't seen a thread posted for this so I don't know if I'm the only one with the problem.

2. doboy macrumors 68000

3. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Check Settings/Sound and see if Silent Mode is turned on.

5. broadbean macrumors 6502a

Just checking you've enabled it either in the Sounds & Haptics Settings on your Watch, or within the Mickey and Minnie Mouse Watch faces where Tap to Speak Time is selected on the your iPhone's Watch app.

6. f00f macrumors 65816

This seems to be a bug in WatchOS 3. Despite all appropriate options being checked-off Mickey/Minnie tap-to-speak-time features still fail to work as expected. Was a problem in 3.0 and may be a problem in 3.1 but I haven't confirmed personally.

If you google around you'll find others are having similar issues but it is resolvable. No clear indication exactly what solves it though. Examples:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7666919
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/52nobm/watchos3_mickeyminnie_will_not_speak_the_time/

etc.

7. lint2015 macrumors member

It seems that the voices are downloaded from the Internet if the Watch is on Wi-Fi and it figures it needs it. Not sure if there's a way to force it to trigger the voices as it doesn't seem to do so immediately, even if you're on Wi-Fi.

This had me perplexed when I first got the watch and eventually it just worked on its own. Once, I did a unpair/repair while I was out to fix an issue I had with Activity Sharing and the voice was gone again. It started working again later after I had access to Wi-Fi.

I'm not certain if it has to redownload the voices after OS updates, but that may be the case. If so, just give it some time with a Wi-Fi connection and it should start working again.

8. Recognition macrumors 6502

Recognition

Make sure you have the language set to English too.