Mico-Sim from iPhone 4 work on a 3G iPad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by livingonvideo13, Jun 23, 2010.

1. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

Thinking about getting an iPad and was thinking about getting the 3g version.

For those of you that have your iPhone 4 and a 3g iPad, let us know if you can take your micro-sim out of your iPhone 4 and put it in your iPad and have it work.

I know people have cut down their Sims from other iPhones but wanted to make sure the sim from the iPhone 4 works before I pull the trigger and buy a 3g iPad.

Also does AT&T care if you do this?

Thanks.

2. DavidFL macrumors member

It works!

Yes, I can verify that the iPhone 4 micro SIM will work in the iPad. You just need to change the APN from "broadband" to "phone" on the iPad (Settings, Cellular Data, APN Settings).

It seems to change back to "broadband" automatically when you remove the iPhone SIM.

As to whether ATT cares or not, I can't say. I would imagine that they would not be happy, but I'm not sure they have a way of telling.

I just plan on using it in "emergency" situations where there is no Wi-Fi and the iPhone is too small. I'm hoping that by being restrained, ATT will either not know or not care.
    :D

3. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Maybe one can use it for FaceTime on a jailbroken iPad 3G running MyWi.

4. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

What about the camera? ;)

5. bgribin macrumors regular

Wow - great news. Thanks for posting!

6. SuedeGopher macrumors newbie

Another confirmation from me. :) Bye bye two AT&T data plans!

7. BentwoodBlue macrumors member

Is it possible to duplicate a micro-sim? Not to run both at the same time, but only to limit swapping back and forth. That way when I'm not using it I can just turn the 3G off on the iPad.