Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
I'm thinking of getting one of the MacBook Pros that Micro Center is currently selling for $999. The closest Micro Center to me is approximately 100-miles distant, so this will be a near 200-mile round trip purchase. I'm thinking it would probably be wise to open it and boot it to make sure that it's not DOA or has some obvious problem, would Micro Center let me do this in the store? If so, should I go through with the initial setup while there or is there a way to abort the setup and restart it after I get home? Thanks.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't see why they would object, but the simplest answer is to call the store and ask in advance.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can manually modify the set up later on.
But if you want to recreate the whole initial set up thing, check here:
http://hivelogic.com/articles/how-to-prepare-a-mac-for-sale
Any warranty issue you will have you can get your Mac to any apple store, so if you have one close to your place go with it.
Call them before going there, so you are sure what you can and cannot do there.
That link is about preparing a Mac for sale. The OP is asking about checking out a new Mac in the store, not selling one they own. There are no warranty issues, as it's a new machine.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
You can manually modify the set up later on.

But if you want to recreate the whole initial set up thing, check here:
http://hivelogic.com/articles/how-to...a-mac-for-sale

Any warranty issue you will have you can get your Mac to any apple store, so if you have one close to your place go with it.

Call them before going there, so you are sure what you can and cannot do there.

Looks like Step Four: Recreate That “Factory Fresh” Feeling at that link will do what I need, thanks.

Apple Store is even further away. I realize that any problems will be covered by the standard AppleCare warranty, but if it's something obvious like, DOA, I'd rather exchange it at MicroCenter then and there, otherwise I have the issue of getting it to Apple for service. I may have to call Micro Center if I decide to do this.

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
Once you buy it, they will let you do almost anything you want to it. So to be safe, just start it up. From my experience, Microcenter employees have been very nice.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Once you buy it, they will let you do almost anything you want to it. So to be safe, just start it up. From my experience, Microcenter employees have been very nice.

Glad to hear from someone with Micro Center experience, thanks.

mbpjohnson

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
I too picked up a 13 inch on sale at micro center and was very happy with the sales staff and the computer. The apple store here is a zoo with with 100's of people crammed in a small store and you wait your turn to get waited on. It just seems to take a while to find someone free to help you.

I walked into the micro center asked a few questions and said I will take one
In and out in 10 mins. In that time 3 managers came up and congratulated me on my new computer and gave me a card and said if I have any problems give them a call.

They also have apple care and their own version of apple care for 50 bucks more that covers damage and dropping and spills, they explained both options and said I can purchase either during the first year, no pressure to sell extras at the time.

I am also impressed with the level of knowledge of the sales people I dealt with on a few other items I purchased there. A world of difference from best buy where you probably know more then the sales person. From the service I received I can't imagine them not letting you try it out once you buy it but you can always go out and try it in your car they do have some charge in the battery.

Phil

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
I too picked up a 13 inch on sale at micro center and was very happy with the sales staff and the computer. The apple store here is a zoo with with 100's of people crammed in a small store and you wait your turn to get waited on. It just seems to take a while to find someone free to help you.

I walked into the micro center asked a few questions and said I will take one
In and out in 10 mins. In that time 3 managers came up and congratulated me on my new computer and gave me a card and said if I have any problems give them a call.

They also have apple care and their own version of apple care for 50 bucks more that covers damage and dropping and spills, they explained both options and said I can purchase either during the first year, no pressure to sell extras at the time.

I am also impressed with the level of knowledge of the sales people I dealt with on a few other items I purchased there. A world of difference from best buy where you probably know more then the sales person. From the service I received I can't imagine them not letting you try it out once you buy it but you can always go out and try it in your car they do have some charge in the battery.

Phil

That does sound like a good shopping experience. The only place that we have that sells Macs nearby is a Best Buy and even that is a half-hours drive, plus you nailed on Best Buy's customer service, who wants to shop there? Thanks for chiming in.

Celedral

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I got mine a few days ago from micro center in Tustin/Orange Ca. Staff was ok, it seems like you would have to go up to them instead of them coming to you. Once bought I took it to my car opened her up to check for defects. Also ask about the rewards thing where you save an additional 5% off, which is $50. I didn't get the discount cause i was in a rush and totally forgot about it. mine was a 40min drive up and down, but sure beats waiting for UPS

EDIT: Also they asked me about their coverage in which they cover the laptop from any damage, but when I asked if I had to buy it along with the latop they said YES! so not sure about the "no pressure" thing but thats just my experience

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
I got mine a few days ago from micro center in Tustin/Orange Ca. Staff was ok, it seems like you would have to go up to them instead of them coming to you. Once bought I took it to my car opened her up to check for defects. Also ask about the rewards thing where you save an additional 5% off, which is $50. I didn't get the discount cause i was in a rush and totally forgot about it. mine was a 40min drive up and down, but sure beats waiting for UPS

EDIT: Also they asked me about their coverage in which they cover the laptop from any damage, but when I asked if I had to buy it along with the latop they said YES! so not sure about the "no pressure" thing but thats just my experience

The rewards thing, is that something like Best Buy's Reward Zone? Is it something you have to sign up for? I've never heard it mentioned before and I don't see anything about it on their website. Edit: Googled for it just now and found out that "The program is only available in our California stores".

As far as the customer service at Micro Center, I guess it's a case of YMMV depending on location. Thanks for posting.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
The rewards thing, is that something like Best Buy's Reward Zone? Is it something you have to sign up for? I've never heard it mentioned before and I don't see anything about it on their website. Edit: Googled for it just now and found out that "The program is only available in our California stores".

As far as the customer service at Micro Center, I guess it's a case of YMMV depending on location. Thanks for posting.

On the reward program......it was my Reward Zone account that led me to price match this to Best Buy.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I bought my 13" macbook pro with the nvidia 320m from my local microcenter for $999 and it is awesome!~

I noticed that 2 weeks after I bought mine, microcenter had 89 instock and just yesterday it is "sold out". I guess more and more people are finding out about them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.