Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
I was in KC yesterday land drove by this store, but we were pressed for time and didn't go inside. Any impressions on this store?

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Well, is it similar to say a best buy? Are there models open and on display. There are other stores that display laptops but the salesman know very little about them, I'd rather not name the stores. Are they high pressure ect.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I was in KC yesterday land drove by this store, but we were pressed for time and didn't go inside. Any impressions on this store?

If it's the one in Overland Park, they're pretty knowledgable. They have PC laptops on display as well as a full Apple section. They're all available to test out, and the sales reps are pretty knowledgable. They can also talk about parts and accessories. There's also a tech support center that can sometimes be more helpful than the Leawood Apple Store (haven't been to the Plaza store, so I don't know of it's much better or worse).

In general, Micro Center is a good place to buy parts and accessories. I haven't bought a machine from them, but they are authorized to sell for the major manufacturers and service many of them as well.

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
If it's the one in Overland Park, they're pretty knowledgable. They have PC laptops on display as well as a full Apple section. They're all available to test out, and the sales reps are pretty knowledgable. They can also talk about parts and accessories. There's also a tech support center that can sometimes be more helpful than the Leawood Apple Store (haven't been to the Plaza store, so I don't know of it's much better or worse).

In general, Micro Center is a good place to buy parts and accessories. I haven't bought a machine from them, but they are authorized to sell for the major manufacturers and service many of them as well.

yes this is the same store, we travel to whole foods from st Joseph and I was looking out of natural grocers next door when I seen micro center in the background. This sounds like someplace I need to visit. Thank you very much for your response, I appreciate it.:)

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
I've bought a lot over there the past few years. Not too bad a place, sometimes it's the only place for some pc parts that most places would special order. You can usually get their Apple computers for about the student discount price. I don't know how they manage to be about the only place locally that has their Apple stuff on sale but they do, I thought Apple set their prices. Sometimes there staff seems a little pushy but what do you expect when they're on commission. I've had times that I've gone in there and not been able to get someone to help me, find what I need, then while I'm looking around more someone will help me find something so he'll want to put his employee sticker on it so he get's credited for it. But then he'll reach over and start sticking the items I had to find myself because there was no one around. Stuff like that pisses me off. If a company isn't paying their associates well enough to worry about taking care of the customer first because he's too worried about putting his sticker on everything I have, just turns me off of wanting to shop with you. But they have a great selection, and sometimes the only place to get a specific computer part without ordering it.

Victor

jkeekij

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I've bought a lot over there the past few years. Not too bad a place, sometimes it's the only place for some pc parts that most places would special order. You can usually get their Apple computers for about the student discount price. I don't know how they manage to be about the only place locally that has their Apple stuff on sale but they do, I thought Apple set their prices. Sometimes there staff seems a little pushy but what do you expect when they're on commission. I've had times that I've gone in there and not been able to get someone to help me, find what I need, then while I'm looking around more someone will help me find something so he'll want to put his employee sticker on it so he get's credited for it. But then he'll reach over and start sticking the items I had to find myself because there was no one around. Stuff like that pisses me off. If a company isn't paying their associates well enough to worry about taking care of the customer first because he's too worried about putting his sticker on everything I have, just turns me off of wanting to shop with you. But they have a great selection, and sometimes the only place to get a specific computer part without ordering it.

Victor

The whole sticker thing is a turn off for me there. If they don't help me somehow they get peeled off on the way to the register.

As mentioned, one of the Apple guys there is pretty knowledgable and great to talk to. Can't recall his name off hand, but he is in there all the time. It's a pretty good store for tech stuff from A-Z. They're wide variety makes it much more desirable than BB even though it is a little drive for me.

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
At least now I have some perspective on what the store's all about. :cool: Looks like we'll head that way again next week. I'm interested in buying a MacBook Pro but have a few concerns about the purchase so I'm taking my time to make sure I get the right model at the best price.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Rchawks,

We have a MicroCenter in Ohio. They have a dedicated Mac room with knowledgable sales persons. They will support you after the sale. Mac related stuff is abundant as well as some refurbs.

They do repairs and upgrades. Its nice store. In my experience any chain location is as good as the local management. We had a less than positive experience there several years ago with the purchase of a system. Water under the bridge.

Good inventory of just about anything one may want at an electronics retailer. There is a bookstore there too.

I consider it to be much better than the Best Buy across the street. Again, local management is the variable. I was in BB a few months ago playing with a Mac. A sales rep approached with a litany of all the malware infecting Macs and trying to direct me away from the Apple store within a store.

Check MicroCenter out. I think you will be pleased. I plan to visit tomorrow. Nice place to go an kill some time. Easy to walk out with too many goodies. I leave the cc at home for insurance unless I actually need something.

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Rchawks,

We have a MicroCenter in Ohio. They have a dedicated Mac room with knowledgable sales persons. They will support you after the sale. Mac related stuff is abundant as well as some refurbs.

They do repairs and upgrades. Its nice store. In my experience any chain location is as good as the local management. We had a less than positive experience there several years ago with the purchase of a system. Water under the bridge.

Good inventory of just about anything one may want at an electronics retailer. There is a bookstore there too.

I consider it to be much better than the Best Buy across the street. Again, local management is the variable. I was in BB a few months ago playing with a Mac. A sales rep approached with a litany of all the malware infecting Macs and trying to direct me away from the Apple store within a store.

Check MicroCenter out. I think you will be pleased. I plan to visit tomorrow. Nice place to go an kill some time. Easy to walk out with too many goodies. I leave the cc at home for insurance unless I actually need something.

I do think you're correct about how important the management style can be in how the customer views particular business or industry. I do plan to visit this store not only view the rMBP's (I've never actually seen one in person) which would be important before spending so much money, but to see how I'm treated while visiting.
I did buy a Macbook at BB last year the day before the official announcement of the upgrade to haswell. I took it back the next day unopened for a refund. I've been chomping at the bit waiting to buy one, but for me it's important to understand what I'm buying and what's involved after the sale.

Last edited:

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I've had good experiences with both Chicago-area locations. In fact, I purchased my last two Macs from them. At the time, they had received shipments of "new old stock" not long after Apple had released new/refreshed products. They must have purchased the older machines in volume from Apple at a significant discount and passed on the savings. I got a brand new late-2011 MacBook Pro from them about six weeks after they launched the first-generation rMBP for much less than what a comparable refurbished machine would have cost.

Overall, they're definitely worth checking out.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I generally like Microcenter, though I agree, those salesmen are pretty quick to add a sticker to my products. If I got a lot of help that's one thing, but to get a sticker after I ask where the restrooms are, seems a bit of a stretch (though you can make a case he did help me :p)

entwined82

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2013
I went to a Microcenter in November to test out Macbooks as I loathe the Apple Store. I get a bad feeling of anxiety from how crowded it is and to be honest I always found the wait to be awful, even when I prepay for products before like with my iphone 5. It took an hour before anyone helped find my phone and got it activated.

Microcenter felt much more low pressure and very laid back. The guys asked if I needed help, I said not really, I just wanted to see which Macbook I like, the Air, Pro or retina Pro and they said if I needed help to just let them know. I didn't, but the hands off approach was greatly appreciated. I got a few minutes on each device and made up my mind.

The one I went to was in Garden City, NY so I'm not sure they are all as cool but that place was always great in my experience of living out in that area for 2 years. Any time I needed printer ink or anything in a hurry I always went there.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
yes this is the same store, we travel to whole foods from st Joseph and I was looking out of natural grocers next door when I seen micro center in the background. This sounds like someplace I need to visit. Thank you very much for your response, I appreciate it.:)

If you can make it down to the Apple Store in Leawood, the geniuses on the sales floor aren't bad. I'm just not a huge fan of the Genius Bar for iPhones. Anyway, at least one of the guys did a pretty good side-by-side comparison of the different laptop models. At the time I was trying to decide between the different 13" models. I ended up ordering a 13" rMBP online through the education store and picking it up there. Was in and out in 10 minutes before the store closed for the night lol.

There are lots of places to buy all over KC, and I don't think there's really a bad one unless they don't let you try it out or have a bad return policy. I bought through Apple because the education discount is usually as good as the store sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.